daylilies

Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all. Any one else have this problem? I don't know if it was because of the wet summer that we have been having or because some of the daylilies are being shaded out by other plants that have just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to more sunny spots?

Thanks Bebra

NE PA zone 6b

Reply to
Barbara Yanus

Maybe they need fertilizer?

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

More sun.

Reply to
Travis

Most need lots of sun for good blooms.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

More sun should help. There is also a tendency for daylilies to sort of die down in the center (of a clump, not individual plants) as they expand at the edges. Digging up, dividing and transplanting is beneficial.

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
Peppergirl

Could be, I have never fertilized them. They are about three or four years old. Is it too late in the season to fertilize? thanks

Barbara

NE PA zone 6b

Reply to
Barbara Yanus

The fall is a good time to transplant? thanks

Bebra

NE PA zone 6b

Reply to
Barbara Yanus

Well they are only about 3-4 years old. I thought that was too soon to seperate them. My most beautiful one, Purple Mt Majesty is very sparce. It doesn't have many leaves at all. I would be afraid to seperate that one. But that is on that has been shaded by a Meadow Rue, that has gtown so BIG...maybe I should just transplant to a sunnier spot? thanks

Bebra

NE PA zone 6b

Reply to
Barbara Yanus

I haven't a clue. With hard clay soil and a bad back, I've never even tried. Since they die down in winter (here), it seems logical that transplanting as the foliage is dying down (but not so gone that you can't find 'em) would be a good idea. Don't take my word for it. I'm sure there's lots of expert advice available.

Reply to
Frogleg

Daylilies really do prefer full sun; if yours are shaded, you should move either them or the shading plants. However, you're in luck, as now is the appropriate time to transplant them.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

Now is not the appropriate time to transplant anything in Texas. It may be okay where you live, but not in the south or southwest. Unless death is the goal.

Reply to
animaux

Update: My Sunset NE Garden book arrived yesterday, and I looked it up. Divide/transplant daylilies in early spring or late fall. You're in luck!

Reply to
Frogleg

I am in NE PA, so I guess I am in luck???

Bebra

NE PA zone 6b

Reply to
Barbara Yanus

Well, no. I wouldn't transplant them till fall gets here, but YMMV. I lived on Long Island for 37 years and it was zone 6b. I didn't transplant anything till at least after Labor Day. At that time, you can amend the soil and add some fertilizer (I like soft rock phosphate) in the holes where you're moving the daylilies.

animaux

It's not the right time to transplant day lilies here either, if the authorities I read are right. They said to transplant after flowering but at least 6 weeks before frost. Well, there isn't that long here between the

2 events, and so here > >
Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

That was my point too, entirely. People answer questions with their garden in mind.

Reply to
animaux

When is your first frost? If it's more that 6 weeks away, then yes, you can divide and transplant.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander