Identity?

There are two of these things that started growing in a small pot (pot is about 6 in. x 8 in. diameter/height).
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images/garden/unk14053.jpg
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images/garden/unk14055.jpg
There's a third plant that started growing in the pot as well that I think is a some kind of Florida weed, but these are the ones that I'd like to identify right at the moment. I don't see them anywhere else anywhere.
The plants are 4 inches high by 6 inches in diameter.
The leaves feel rubbery and grow out from the center in all directions. Could these be small pineapples just starting out?
I don't remember planting any pineapple seeds, and I don't even know what a pineapple seed looks like. Probably just another Florida weed...
-- Jim Carlock Post replies to newsgroup.

Looks like a Day Lily
Hemerocallis have distichous leaves arranged in a fan. The plant in the pic has leaves in a spiralled rosette more like a a true Lilium.
Will need to wait until it blooms to ID it.

Well, the mention of lily... I recalled putting a bulb into the bottom of one of these pots over the summer, I dug it up a couple times over the next month or two because I've quite a few of these pots and I've just planted seeds here and there in each and am waiting to be surprised.
Some of these darn seeds take a month or two to make it out of the soil!
Anyways, the bulb was about the size of a big baby's fist. Maybe a five or six year old's fist. Maybe just a little bigger.
Could one bulb result in two clusters like that? One of the day-lily pics I found on Google look pretty close to the current arrangement.
http://mgonline.com/daylily01.jpg
And I recall seeing such a flower in a some other pot earlier during the summer. That pic above is not my flower just a flower I found in Google images searching for "day lily".
<g> New word... as far as distichous goes, this thing fansout in all directions rather than the leaves growing upwards and sits nice and flat and horizontal with leaves growing radially.
More words... rosette and whorl. Both seem to describe the leaves on this. Acuminate as well. http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/appw/nonkey/html/glossary.html
-- Jim Carlock Post replies to newsgroup.
"Cereus-validus..." wrote: Hemerocallis have distichous leaves arranged in a fan. The plant in the pic has leaves in a spiralled rosette more like a a true Lilium.
Will need to wait until it blooms to ID it.
"Ricky" wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:18:46 GMT, "Jim Carlock"

You will considerably reduce the possibility of *anything* growing if you keep digging things up. Put a label in/on the pot.

Yes.
That picture is not a daylily (Hemerocallis), but of an Asiatic lily (lilium). Neither have leaves like those in your photo. Yours looked more like an Amaryllis or Hippeastrum. Wait 'til it blooms, and then post photo.

Try this:
http://www.botany.com/index.16.htm

(Why are you looking at a glossary of aquarium plants for a terrestrial bulb?)
I've got some other questions too... anyone know where there is a site that might give a list of the terms used to describe leaves? I know some leaves grow three at a time and some grow on opposing stems and I'm ignorant when it comes to the terms used to describe such leaves.
Thanks.
-- Jim Carlock Post replies to newsgroup.
"Jim Carlock" wrote: There are two of these things that started growing in a small pot (pot is about 6 in. x 8 in. diameter/height).
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images/garden/unk14053.jpg
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images/garden/unk14055.jpg
There's a third plant that started growing in the pot as well that I think is a some kind of Florida weed, but these are the ones that I'd like to identify right at the moment. I don't see them anywhere else anywhere.
The plants are 4 inches high by 6 inches in diameter.
The leaves feel rubbery and grow out from the center in all directions. Could these be small pineapples just starting out?
I don't remember planting any pineapple seeds, and I don't even know what a pineapple seed looks like. Probably just another Florida weed...
-- Jim Carlock Post replies to newsgroup.
My wife likes to use <http://forestry.about.com/library/treekey/bltree_key_id_start.htm
Jim Carlock wrote:

there.
Something from the lily family?
That really narrows it down...........NOT.
If that's your best guess, Penplee, you may as well just go back to sleep.