Home Depot politics

Heh. How about Home Depot as the incarnation of the Evil American Imperialist Empire, coming to Canada to outcompete local hardware companies, forcing the big boxization of several home grown chains like Reno Depot, Revvie, and ye old Canadian Tire Corp.?

It's not just about Republicans and Democrats, dontcha know.

Shirley Hicks, in Toronto

Reply to
Shirley Hicks

I can explain it easily; Bush was not elected, he was appointed by his father's buddies. Cut, dry, pack it up.

escapee

I would add to that you will never get a ration of crap trying to return something to Sears. I bought a fairly expensive expensive self propelled mower a while back and I just didn't like the way it operated.

After using it twice I took it back to the store. The guy asked me why I was returning it and I told him exactly why. They gave me a full refund without batting an eye.

Tyler

Reply to
Tyler Hopper

Apparently the new CEO of HD is quite proud of the new return policy. Of course, he blamed, I mean credited it to some low level employee who said it wasn't fair to take stuff back and give people cash while she could hardly pay her bills. The logic escaped me and Wolf Blitzer didn't seem to be troubled by the nonsense.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I'm afraid I don't exactly follow that logic either. So what is their new return policy?

Tyler

Reply to
Tyler Hopper

I'm not entirely sure. Blitzer mentioned that people always remarked that "Home Depot will take anything back." That lead to the discussion about how it wasn't fair to take things back and they were cracking down on people who were abusive. Frankly, there are times that I don't know if I will need ten pipe fittings or 18. I might need six of these and seven of those and perhaps four of another. I don't want to run out of supplies and have to drive to the hardware store in the middle of a project. I tend to buy more than I need and return the rest. I haven't had a problem so far at Lowe's or HD, but if there is some new stringent return policy at HD, that is yet another reason to shop elsewhere. There have been time that I have had to return things to HD because there were parts missing from the box. Once I got a toilet and the take and bowl didn't match because someone switched them in the box. Once I got a bunch of plumbing components recommended by an employee that were the wrong parts and I had to return them.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I suppose 'same sex' marriage is the cause of over 50% divorce rate? Needn't worry about same sex marriage, those 'legally married' are doing a better job of tainting the meaning of 'marriage'.

Reply to
Wishy13764

Agreed. I think that marriage is an institution that has changed with time and will continue to change. The religious right will tell you that for

5000 years, marriage has been between one man and one woman. However, the Bible details how people like David had many wives and even more concubines. Marriage wasn't even adopted as a sacrament of the Catholic Church until the Council of Trent in 1563. That makes it a rather new institution. The ultimate challenge to the stability of marriage is easy divorce, but no one proposes to prohibit divorce in the Constitution.
Reply to
Vox Humana

Since everyone is having so much fun yacking political BS that doesn't belong here, rather than start an argument about moderating the group and censorship and all that, why don't we just open the barn door and see what comes in.

It'll be loads of fun.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The barn door was never closed. What you see is what you get.

Reply to
Warren

Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie zxcvbob is about to speak:

*peep*

** Captain Infinity

Reply to
Captain Infinity

I agree, wouldn't the HD stock holders have more influence over the CEO?

Reply to
Pen

I liked Revy and Lansing, too. I feel worse about White Rose. HD isn't Can Tire's problem though, I've worked for Can Tire and boy, do they have inventory problems!

We've got our own evil imperialists, too. Remember Cruikshanks -- the wonderful folks who sold rare and premium bulbs on Mt. Pleasant? Besides, I only buy plants from Walmart and HD when they're marked for clearance. It's the thriftyness of customers that actually kills retail stores in Canada. Why am I so cheap? Because I am ... :)

Reply to
Pen

Aw, c'mon. I was just getting ready to nominate Brittney Spears as the poster girl for the Sanctity of Marriage. ;)

Reply to
The Watcher

Note: I was being flip in my original post.

I don't. Their stock was pretty middle-of-the-road, they were all over the map as to retail direction, and their prices were high for what they were selling. I've seen better from the independents at their price point.

Really? Pray tell.... (one of the co-workers is moving over to their flyer production department)

Yeah, I do. Got some nice stock from them. They were pricey - had things that no one else had.

Well, (eyes dancing) if you're _really_ cheap, you start your own plants from seed, and do most of your gardening with pass-alongs, and bits tossed over the fence from your neighbours. Oh, and pick nice hardy spreaders.

I have a weakness for Richter's. Plant World up on Eglington is _extremely_ dangerous to my wallet as they have luscious lovely, relatively rare stock (not to mention gorgeous pots, benches, and other garden frippery) For any canucks reading,

has links to all those fine independent Canadian bulb and regionally specialized plant stock providers. Gardens North in Ottawa was seriously tempting too for many years.

Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

Reply to
Shirley Hicks

After six months of using an electric Ryobi trimmer, I returned it to Home Depot. I was given store credit, no questions asked other than what was wrong with it. NO receipt.

escapee

Thanks Cap'n, I was beginning to think nobody cared [sniff].

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The problem that these stores have is not with someone buying extra nuts and bolts and returning what's not used, but with equipment. I know a guy who's very proud of the fact that every fall he "buys" a ladder from Lowes, cleans out his gutters, then returns the ladder. No worries about cost, storage, etc. I have heard that HD (and others) are modifying their return policies to try to put a stop to that kind of abuse. Hard to fault them for that.

Reply to
Joe Sandlin

I have no problem with that. They should have explained the new policy instead of trying to put some spin on it that provided no information.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Same sex is the problem with my marraige. It's the SAME SEX over and over and over...... :)

Reply to
Joe Sandlin