Help Save Me From Nasty Stinky Red Mushrooms

Last year I bought what I was told were cedar chips. Along with these "cedar chips", I believe I also received spores of a REALLY REALLY foul-smelling red-colored mushroom. When one of these "mushrooms" first pop out of the ground, it's about 3/4" in diameter, then it grows into the shape of, I kid you not, a penis. Fully mature, it's about 12" long, 3/4" in diameter, red in color, slimy, and stinks worse than cat shit! Yes, the smell is so bad, even when it first pops out of the ground, it attracts flies like crazy and is strong enough to drive you into the house. What I've been doing as soon as I notice one starting to grow is I grab as much of it as I can with an old Walmart bag, like you would if you were to pick up a dog pile. Is it possible to erradicate these "mushrooms" from my yard by doing this? Or am I just helping spread the spores?
Please tell me what these horrid-smelling "mushrooms" are, and how I can get rid of them!
Oh, BTW, I live in north Florida.
Patrick

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/Weekly_Picture10-29-01-1.html
The flies are spreading the new spores. That's why it developed the stink...
--
This signature left blank.

It's a stinkhorn fungus. The name is self explanatory. Once the spores are in your yard as long as you have the right conditions (rotting vegetation, mulch, compost etc + moisture + warm temperatures) then they will keep poping up. Cutting off the fruiting body (the phallic bit) before its little gills open ( you will need to be quick, these erections don't last long) and release the spores may contain the spread but don't count on it.
David
In article
, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

I think that is called a "stinkhorn." Since mushrooms are types of fungus, perhaps you might look for anti- fungal sprays. Sorry I can't think of a specific brand at the moment. Maybe try a Google Groups search on "stinkhorn"
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks to all who replied to my thread! The info is much appriciated.
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

....or just drink the everclear and you won't care about the 'shrooms.

USDA Zone 8b