Pressure Treated Posts

I am building a patio cover and using 4x4 treated douglas fir posts which I want to then paint. What is the best way to cover the hash marks from the pressure treatment. Location is in Southern California where the temperature can reach 100` with direct sunlight.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Los-Snorenios

If you are talking about the parallel lines up and down the lumber that are slightly depressed, those would be saw blade marks. The way to make them go away is to remove them with a belt sander. But with treated lumber, I'd get a decent breathing mask, not just the cheapo paper ones. Down here, we have CCA treated lumber (which I wish they would have LEFT as illegal and phased out) and breathing that arsenic really isn't a good idea...

John in Houston

Reply to
Tex John

I would think Douglas fir would be more expensive than pressure treated pine and if you are going to paint it why not choose a less expensive wood? Some pressure treated woods come with a "Do Not Paint" warning too. It seems the paint can hold moisture in the wood causing it to decay sooner.

My limited experience with pressure treated woods cause me to resist sanding and changing the surface of treated wood because the treatment is more effective on the perimeter of the wood. The center is often quickly rotted away on pieces cut to length and not end-treated.

There is a rec.woodworking group that might be more helpful.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal