Help me save my bedroom furniture

My bedroom furniture has damaged tops,from putting water glasses on them thru the years. It looks like the tops are Flakeboard with a Photo finsh paper.( wood design ) What can i do to make the tops look good ?

Reply to
desgnr

Nothing. If the moisture wrinkled the paper and swelled the flakeboard, you're out of luck. Go find a table cloth whose design you like. Have a tailor cut it to size and hem it. Spray with Scotch Guard to repel water, if you can't stop yourself from getting it wet.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was going to suggest kitchen cabinet "trim 'n stick" would probably look as good as the original did...but decided I'd refrain. :)

Reply to
dpb

I did use the "trim and stick" stuff on some shelves in a computer desk that had gotten messed up with digs from screws from some equipment. Sanded things smooth, and put the stuff on. Only trick was getting the bubbles out... used a credit card. Razor knife for the edges after it was in place. Probably better than what was on there in the first place...

Reply to
professorpaul

I was being only half-facetious... :)

The other alternative if the substrate isn't _too_ bad is laminate (as in Formica-type, but wouldn't seem the pieces would be worth the expense/trouble...

Reply to
dpb

Find a peel-n-stick which matches closely enough, sand the existing tops smooth, apply some shellac to seal the flakeboard, sand again, thoroughly clean the surface with a tack cloth, apply the peel-n-stick, roll or press to ensure a good bond, trim carefully. Done properly it won't look any worse than the original and will probably be more durable because of the shellac will substantially protect the flakeboard.

Reply to
John McGaw