Have boxwood, have chainsaw

And an incredible urge to carve my 2 mature boxwood hedges (about 8 feet long by 3 feet wide by 4 feet tall) into something more interesting, like a dragon or sea serpent or dachshund. However, all the topiary books/references/postings I've found talk about training and frames, etc. Can anyone point me towards information on how to carve already- existing hedges into something weird and wonderful?
Thanks,
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
http://web.newsguy.com/debbiethedogged /

You can cut out the rough shape of whatever figure you want to make, but the actual final shape requires patience, training and frames. If you look at the center of the hedge, there are few leaves, now if you cut it all away using a hedge trimmer, it would look rather barren, so you'll have to do it slowly, cut away a section, let it regrow some leaves, lather, rinse, repeat.
It might take a year or so to get it to it's final shape.
-S

Yes. Anyone can point you toward information. Begin by searching for the word "topiary" at www.bn.com. And, try your public library.