Bromeliads get ragged after bloom

I have them all over the garden; have moved them; have taken "pups" to plant elsewhere. They seem to do well --for a while. Then the leaves get ragged-looking after the flower fades. Is this normal? Or should the same plant bloom again later?

I will post a picture if need be, but meantime have found this site:

has a plant much like mine. It is Aechmea Fasciata "Morgana".

Can anybody comment on whether I should pull up the ragged-looking ones -- or will they bloom again?

Thanks.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

"pups"

I don't know specifically about that type of Brom but the ones I have are all reported to die after flowering although they may produce pups for a few years after flowering and before they die.

Reply to
Farm1

From what I have read, my Guzmania -- having bloomed -- will eventually die. Although I removed the spent flower stalk about 6 months ago, the plant is still quite green. It already has a significant offset that should survive to replace its parent.

This life-cycle is common with many monocots -- bromeliads, yuccas, agaves, bulbs, corms, etc. They flower and die, but produce new plants vegetatively before dying.

Reply to
David E. Ross