Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 3 of 15
On 10/19/07 1:40 PM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

Come on - anything cooked in pressure cooker is good.

Hmm - maybe....

And it was delicious! So dang tender!

Me too! Want to swap kid woes off list?

My FIL liked that....
Cheryl

The collagen content of it has some very good health benefits. That's also the major plus for calves foot jelly.

I've heard that it's exceptional

I'm game! I work in a Hospital lab. With the cooler weather hitting, it's getting to be our "busy season".

--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Limburger.......MMMMMMMMMmmmmm good! :-)
We've done lots of chicken feet......good too. With noodles. And smashed taters.
My wifes' Grandpa ate something though that we didn't care much for. He ate boiled pig ears. Too danged gristly for us.
Stinky Charlie

I like them all by themselves with a little salt after cooking them for stock with onion, garlic, celery, a little carrot, fresh grated ginger root and some salt free lemon pepper. Helluva stock ingredient!

I've never tried them but I'll bet a pressure cooker would melt 'em. ;-) I do calves feet and barbacoa for 1 hour. Chicken feet, 40 minutes as if I go over that, the bones disintegrate.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

My oh my, omnivores are adventurous, aren't they?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

ROFL! Some are, some aren't. ;-)
As much as I like chicken feet, I DO draw the line at some things!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

Looked about for this Gem.
Bill
http://www.weird-food.com/weird-food-fish.html
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

That's why we have no bald donkeys here in Scotland.
Janet
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Just call me sensitive but my recent exposure to the term "junk science" is in connection with people who don't believe in evolution, or that human activities are responsible for acid rain, ozone holes, or global warming,e.g. it's the kind of phrase that Rush Limbaugh would use. I'm not tarring you with that brush, just signaling that I lose some objectivity when I see it.
I'm not accusing Mr. Taubes of being a mercenary who obscures nutritional knowledge or promotes high profit products for Big Agra. He has had some impressive reviews and some, less so. I'm just cautioning a suspension of judgement until we have digested what he has to say.
One knock on him is, according to the reviewer (GINA KOLATA, October 7, 2007, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/books/review/Kolata-t.html?_r=1&ex 49 409600&end7a0779136803b&eiP90&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&oref=slogi n) ". . . the problem with a book like this one, which goes on and on in great detail about experiments new and old in areas ranging from heart disease to cancer to diabetes, is that it can be hard to know what has been left out. For example, Taubes argues at length that people get fat because carbohydrates in their diet drive up the insulin level in the blood, which in turn encourages the storage of fat. His conclusion: all calories are not alike. A calorie of fat is much less fattening than a calorie of sugar."

I don't believe cholesterol causes heart attacks but I am impressed that the Japanese had so few, when they ate their traditional diet. Now that they eat like Americans, they seem to be dying like Americans. That's not belief, that's empiricism.

At present my choice of diet tends to the high veggie, relatively low protein diet (stir fries with some meat and no rice). Additionally, I'm trying to increase the amount of omega-3 in my diet by incorporating purslane, where ever I can. An exception is made for Sat. nights which, chez nous, is known as bone night, when we have barbecued, smoked, pork, spare ribs, and the dogs and cats get to clean up the scraps.
Of course, if I can get game meat, then all bets are off until I am definitively told that it is bad for me.

--
FB - FFF

Billy

How very true this is and we need to take this into account when designing our garden strategy.
http://alternet.org/environment/64948 /
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, the Hungarian biochemist and Nobel Prize winner for medicine once said, "Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water."
We depend on water for survival. It circulates through our bodies and the land, replenishing nutrients and carrying away waste. It is passed down like stories over generations -- from ice-capped mountains to rivers to oceans.
Historically water has been a facet of ritual, a place of gathering and the backbone of community..........continued at above link.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 06:51:04 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Ok, this sounds really good, but I can find no references to anything like it, so I found some cranberry chutney recipes I am going to put together and build one that sounds like what I want.
This weekend will be my annual chutney making time, I love chutney, though the rest of the dunderbunnies in my family aren't too enthused.
Ha......all the more for me!
Charlie, now dreaming of a crisp fall morning with hot coffee and all that goes with the hunt.
On 10/11/07 8:17 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

With a little luck, I'll remember to email DH's cousin in Germany and ask her what it is and to bring some when she comes over in May.
Put me on the list for the extra chutney. ;) Cheryl
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:39:07 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

And with a little luck you will remember to let us know what it is? ;-)

Ahhhh.......another chutney lover.
Since I am the only one who eats it, I always increase the hot pepper and use a hot madras curry I can get locally. Extra candied ginger too.
Charlie
On 10/12/07 7:31 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Charlie" <Charlie> wrote:

Drool dripping on to keyboard...

????????????
You slip the lead today? Didn't you have grapes to abuse?

The lab is taking its' hits. There are three of us. I'm down with a cold, another is out with a swollen elbow, and the third poor bastard has Sat. off. I have to scab up by at least by Sat. One person in the lab makes for a long day (12-14 hrs.), but the overtime is nice:-)
More rain expected for Fri. here in the wine country. I suspect that the harvest finished today. Sun and sugars go up. Rain and sugars, and acids go down. Some grapes are at 25% sugar for the second time, and then they start to rot. Harvest over but the wine making goes on.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Damn, sounds like it's you po' bastids are gettin' abused rather than the grapes. Hope the cold clears and hope the the person with the swollen elbow doesn't have cellulitis. I have had episodes of that in my elbow, about once per decade. Nearly went gangrenous the first go I had, and it happens effing fast.

We are having marvelouly cool weather, 60's and expecting some showers perhaps the next several days.
I didn't know any of the finer points of wine making you have recently presented, and how grapes react to different factors. Not being much interested in wine, other than for cooking, I just had the basics in my head........fruit, crush, yeast, bottle......simpleton I am.
Your place harvest by hand? I saw something on DIscovery the other night about mechanical grape harvesters.
Mother Earth News has an article this month on hard cider making and it sounds to be extremely easy. All I would need is a quality champagne yeast. I am tempted, against my better judgement, but it is my favorite season of the year and a fresh mug of cider would go great with a fresh warm doughnut.
Heal well Charlie
Charlie wrote in

champagne yeast makes a finer cider, but ale yeast is also good & sometimes easier to find. bread yeast works, but it can add off-flavors (almost as bad as just letting wild yeast do the work). hard cider doesn't taste like fresh cider, BTW. i don't know that it goes well with doughnuts... i do like to let some of my fresh cider start to ferment (with the wild yeasts) so it gets 'fizzy', but not to where it gets alcoholic. reminds me i should go up to my friends orchard & get some drops... the US gub'mint says he can't use drops in the cider he makes, but it doesn't say he can't let me take drops home. lee

Thanks for the yeast tip, I think I can get ale yeast close to here.
I know it doesn't taste like fresh. I've been a cider-head for a long time, both fresh and hard.
A sweet hard cider, IMO, does go well with fresh *homemade* donuts.
Give it a try sometime. :-)
Charlie
On 10/12/07 7:42 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Charlie" <Charlie> wrote:

Local orchard was frying up donuts as I waked into buy my 1/2 peck for the week. So dang good