Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 15 of 15

in

I can usually get chuck cheaper than hamburger. As I say, it improves most recipes that call for the latter. Chili con carne is a good example (*especially* when you substitute beer for water -- gives it an agreeable sweet taste with no identifiable hint of beer). Excellent served over rice. Be adventurous with the beans. Don't just throw in a can of kidney beans -- too boring. Throw in a can each of garbanzos and black beans, too.

Cook it just like ground beef. Sear it in oil with black pepper and a teaspoon of chopped garlic to marry the flavors early. No great culinary skills needed beyond turning on the stove and stirring.

How much is it from how well McDonalds has us trained from childhood?

And McDonald knows. They get their flavor from smoke stacks in New Jersey.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Creosote? That's occasionally used for smoke flavor, by Burger King in particular, IIRC.

Ferd, get a grip. You're trying too hard here. Your not bleeding likely to find a wood fire in one of those smoke stacks. You must have been thinking of chimneys. You are a comedien (consider getting a large black board as a visual aid). If you want creosote, go suck on a post. It's cheaper than a whopper. You might want to add some mustard, onion, tomato, and pickle though. No, I was referring to New Jersey as the original "Skunk Works". If it is a smell or a taste, it's made in New Jersey.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

I was serious.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:45:07 -0700, Father Haskell
Oopsie!

I only knew of wood creosote but I know now of coal tar creosote. Neither sounds appetizing or healthy.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

i wouldn't know. there weren't fast food franchises around until i was in my teens (that is, they hadn't really expanded so much. they existed, just not where i lived). i have cookbooks from WWII era & earlier which ask for cuts of meat i *never* see in stores. i can only vaguely remember cutting them in meat cutting class in 1972. i'm afraid i didn't pay close attention since i took the class while in my vegetarian phase. OTOH, i have a 7 year old & hamburgers are way down on his list of foods he'd prefer. i think the current top of the list is artichokes. he loooooves artichokes. lee
On 10/11/07 8:37 PM, in article
wrote:

And there are cuts now that appear to invented in recent days. Tri-tip anyone

Mine brings wasabi to the rink - for a little fire in her belly. She loves sushi and will try nearly anything once. C