Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 11 of 15

Only if you don't know what the hell you are doing.
When I've processed meat, I _never_ get feces from the intestinal tract on the clean meat!
Ew.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Cattle in feedlots spend their days up to their hocks in manure. It's on their skin when they go to slaughter. Proper sanitation should take care of it- then again, not even going the feedlot route would fix it forever.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I wonder if they will ever consider just irradiating meat. That should take care of it, permanently.
One way to help with the ground meat problem is to simply grind your own meat. I have a very nice meat grinder I bought on sale at Cabela's, and fresh ground meat is superior to pre-made patties any day. ;-d
I don't think that will help with contaminated greens tho'.
There have been a LOT more issues with washed bagged greens and e-coli than ground meat so going vegetarian won't totally avoid the problem either.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
grinding my own hamburger I can also add stuff like bacon and garlic and even butter. makes MUCH better hamburger.
the issue with veggies is that fields with cattle is next to veggies and the wild pigs run thru both. some farmers put up nets to keep the pigs out of their fields on the side facing the cattle. a hole in the net and it alerts them to check the field for hoof prints and contamination. Ingrid

Oh Ann it completely broke my heart in half when we drove through Amarillo TX for miles and miles of meat slaughter pens. It was freezing cold and all these animals were literally soaked in feces and urine and very cold with no cover from wind. I'll never eat meat again of any kind.
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:07:15 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Know what your doing? Slaughter house workers are illiterate third world immigrants, they were when Upton Sinclair wrote the Jungle and they are now, and they always will be. They process millions of cattle a year under the most oppressive conditions, contamination is inevitable. Good practices can reduce the level of contamination but they can't eliminate it unless then USDA is willing to mandate the use of irradiation which I suspect won't be a popular move. You should just assume that hamburger has e-coli and that chicken has salmonella. As long as you cook it properly you won't have a problem.

All good points. ;-) I cook chicken thoroughly and keep all surfaces well cleaned when I work with it.
But, I like my beef rare, sometimes raw.
I've not purchase ground beef in ages but if I did, it would NOT be pre-formed patties. Our local grocery store grinds fresh ground beef 4 times per day so it would probably be pretty good, but if I really wanted a rare burger, I'd just go ahead and grind my own any more.
I personally don't have a problem with irradiated food. I don't see what the big deal is.
When I do eat raw beef, it's very lean top or bottom round and I cube it up myself just prior to consumption. I also rinse it well.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:31:51 -0500, Omelet wrote:

I agree with you on all of that. Beef is contaminated on the surface so there is nothing wrong with eating a steak that's seared on the outside and red on the inside (unless you are immune compromised). A hamburger is a different story. If you grind the meat yourself or buy fresh ground beef and use it immediately then a rare hamburger is fine. I only use hamburger in spaghetti sauce where it's thoroughly cooked. Restaurants won't server you a rare hamburger, it may be against the law or they might just want to avoid lawsuits, so the choice isn't ours anymore. Rare chicken isn't something that anyone really wants, I roast my chickens for 1.25 hours so that the skin is nice and crisp.
I don't think that there is any risk to irradiation but I don't know if it would effect the taste. I wouldn't want my steaks irradiated if there was any taste effects, I wouldn't object to hamburger and chicken being irradiated. However most people are squeamish about radiation so the USDA would have to allow the meat companies to call it Cold Pasteurization instead of irradiation if they wanted people to buy it.

Indeed. Any bacteria on the surface of the meat gets mixed all in during the grinding, then it multiplies if allowed to sit.

Indeed. I have tried to order them a couple of times in the distant past, and they won't.

I personally don't care for raw chicken. It's gross. <g> Sashimi quail eggs on the other hand...

I'd like to see more studies done. I suppose I could find some on google, but you'd think with all the uproar lately over contaminated foods, they would start at least considering it more.

I think people think it'd make their food "radioactive". Too many people just don't understand.
From what I understand, you can take a piece of raw meat, hermetically seal it in a mylar pouch and as long as that pouch goes undamaged, you don't even have to freeze it! You could store raw meat on your pantry shelves and it'd have a very long shelf life.
Maybe that is why they won't do it. <g> A lot of people toss away a lot of spoiled and freezer burned foods.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I think the point here is that irradiated shit is still shit. If the radiation can kill the pathogens, what do you think the consequences to meat processing would be. Tighter control on sanitation or less? Personally, I don't want my food irradiated or genetically modified. My body does fine with foods that come from the Earth. Eating foods from the laboratory is an experiment and I'm not interested in being a guinea pig. If people want to grow GMOs, they should be required to keep their GMOs gene pools to their property and should be fined if they drift away. Viva, Jos Bov.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

I understand what you are saying. I do not and probably will not ever trust GM foods, but that's not the same thing as irradiation treatment to kill bacteria.
Cooking food alters it too. It's probably why I get a craving for raw meat and raw egg yolks now and then (and I indulge myself!). In many ways, raw foods are more nutritious than cooked foods, up to a point.
Many harder vegetables are more difficult to digest without cooking, so you actually get MORE out of them by cooking them.
So, my point is, cooking alters your food.
I honestly don't know exactly what irradiation would do to food. Whether or not it would harm it any more than cooking it does. ;-)
So, would it be beneficial in that it'd kill bacteria (which are more sensitive to it) and would it _really_ harm or alter the food that much?
People fear what they don't understand. I'm still open minded about treating food that way until I find reasons to not do so.
I'll do some googling on it when I have more time and see what I can find out, if anything.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Om, I agree that radiation will kill bacteria but salmonella and e. coli = shit. I really don't want to irritate you but how much shit should we be expected to eat? 1 microgram/kilo, 1 milligram/kilo, 1 gram/kilo, more? This phony "war on terror" is supposed to make us safer, and we are going to introduce more dirty bomb material into the social arena while we are pissing off (re:oppressing) the developing world?
We can live healthier lives with less meat and eating less shit is just a benefit. If people want to eat GMOs and eat irradiated meat, that is fine by me but they need to be identified so that people like me don't eat them by accident. A free market only works with when buyer and seller understand the transaction. At present, GMOs aren't identified.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

I'm not irritated. ;-) I see exactly where you are coming from. The USDA allows given amounts of "coliform" bacteria in our foods as well as bug parts and rodent feces.
I see no way to totally avoid that short of raising ALL of your own food.
I just try not to think about it. <g>

Except that due to the fact that we use shit as fertilizer means that it's going to be on your plant based foods as well. Bagged salad greens have killed more people than contaminated meat has.
You can't win that one. Sorry!
Raise your own veggies hydroponically so that they never have contact with dirt if you are really serious.
There are some hydroponic veggies available at the store. My favorite Boston Butter lettuce is sold that way, but it's slightly over $3.00 per head.

Whatever works for you babe... :-)
I'd prefer to avoid GMO foods too. I just don't trust them... I have too many food allergies as it is.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 10/2/07 12:22 PM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

And even then, birds and bugs still poop! LOL!

Yup!

Mmmmm... bug poop! Yum!
Om -> Sitting here eating some raw celery sticks. ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

The world is a strange place is it not? We are born between feces and urine and think we are special. My garden is nothing but death, rot and destruction a killing fields of sorts. I try to focus on rebirth but have to go purchase some dried blood and get some hair from the barber. Sort of controlled rot I guess for the garden. Then off to the store for some food shopping knowing that some small critter is munching on my eye lid or having lunch in my nose. Read the other day that these guys may amount to about 6 ounces of my weight. I won't go to gut and intestinal flora.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

In article

<lol>
Such is life. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 10/2/07 2:57 PM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

Trying to overcome the giggles C
Omelet wrote:

Xantham gum is bug poop. Or bug exudate. You pick the tastier definition.

Even if you raie your own, and feed your soil entirely on composted vegetable matter, you still won't avoid coliforms, insect parts, and rodent faeces. Wherever we grow food it will attract other species to feed, bugs insects and worms, to feed on your crops, seeds, live and dead leaves etc, and birds, rodents etc which feed on the insects, bugs, worms etc.
If you raise veg hydroponically, you will have to add chemical nutrients to their watersystem. Some of those have been obtained from animal waste (urea, nitrogen etc), and you will STILL get rodents, insects etc attracted to the water, crops, nutrients etc.
Janet