Global warming and your garden

Well, they have been trying like hell to build a TWO MILLION dollar football stadium. The part is not the placement of funds, but on the other side of the coin the average out of pocket spent by teachers in order for their "room" to have what it needs to inspire is $700.00. Not to mention salary. I think the average teacher in our district is approximately $30k. I don't have to tell anyone the more educated a person is in this academic climate in Texas is not, NOT attracted to teach. Teach to the test. Thanks dubbya.

dubbya wants everyone to be as ignorant as he is... as for the out of pocket expenses by teachers for their classrooms, that's not stuff to inspire, it's *basics* like pencils & paper. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Actually, each fall the different Independent School Districts have a 2-4 page list of required school supplies. My sister in law spends about 150 dollars on two teenagers. Then, they take these supplies and put them into a large pool box so if your child brings in Harry Potter this or that, chances of them having it from that pool of supplies is almost none.
The things teachers buy are basic items to help illustrate science projects, paints, different things ordinarily schools supplied. I grew up in Brooklyn where we were covered under the NYS Board of Education. Here in Texas, each district is independent. There is a lot of room for corruption of funding. I am tired of paying for it.
We are seriously looking at places like Belize and Cancun to retire to. Costa Rica is another place I have been looking at. I will not develop anything, but we'd buy something already existing so we don't further displace more native fauna and flora.
Victoria

Might want to study up on entomology;o)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Edibles?
Charlie

Depends on who you mean;o))
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

You been reading old Joe Bageant?
He has mostly gone there. If you aren't familiar, you might enjoy a bit of his cynicism and insight. He is an old school lefty who communed with some of the best of us. His experiences in Belize might be of interest.
http://www.joebageant.com /
Charlie

JC, you're scattering your discontent among several subjects. If you don't like how your tax money is being spent in the education area, get after your local officials. Also protest to the Bush administration re: "No Child Left Behind", which has yielded the result you rightly protest -- teaching to the test. (Incidentally, Bush stole the slogan from Marion Wright Edelman's legitimate child advocacy group, the Children's Defense Fund.)
Below is a well-expressed counter-argument I found on another NG where a similar discussion was in progress. Since we're into an OT debate about education and taxes (I think that's what it's about?) maybe this POV would interest JC.
Persephone
-------
"You know, I see this all the time. You figure "my ox isn't being gored, so why should I pay taxes?" Hint: No man is an island. You are part of the greater society, unless you opt out and go to live on a desert island somewhere. (and don't expect to be rescued if in trouble).
You need good schools to turn out well-educated citizens whether or not you have kids in school. What they do as youth and as adults DIRECTLY affects you. You also need for all mothers to have good pre-natal care and good infant care, meaning proper nutrition and medical care so the children will grow up to be good citizens.
You also need clean streets, electricity maintenance, working traffic signals, disaster response, pure food & water, etc.etc. ***and people who know how to run these societal functions.***
Looking narrowly at a fictive bottom line misses the longer-term. As Ben Franklin famously said: "Either we all hang together or we will assuredly hang separately."
"Apres moi le deluge" is no longer operative."
On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:20:58 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Jangchub is one word, not two and shouldn't ave a dual letter associated with the shorthand. I don't sign my posts enough, but I am Victoria, not JC.

Mea culpa.
On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:13:05 -0700, Persephone wrote:

You're-a acknowledgement is accepted. Let's start over.
In article

Or have the parents take the time to do some of it! I learned my survival stuff from mom and dad, and church camp.
Not in school...
--
Peace! Om

ct.net.au:

and i was bored silly. i was reading before i was three, & reading my father's Master's textbooks by the time i was 4. my parents got the NY school system to accept me for Kindergarten when i was 4. in NY, i was pretty much allowed to read what i wanted when the other kids were learning, but when we moved to MA when i was in 2nd grade things went bad fast. that school allowed no variation from the norm. i was punished for writing cursive, for reading anything but the baby texts, for working ahead in the math book. when my teacher took my copy of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End away for being inappropriate & even refused to return it to my mother (mom bought me a new copy), i'd gave up on school. at age 6 i told that teacher i didn't need school & i didn't need her. i could learn & do anything i wanted and she couldn't stop me. that didn't go over well... :) i fought the school system from then on & i vowed i'd never subject a child of mine to that mind-numbing, stifling blandness. schools have only become worse since i attended. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Any chance anyone knows the teacher of the year from New York city that touched on similar themes. I'd guess 1975 +- 5. There is a wonderful paper about but I am at a loss to find it.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

John Holt, maybe?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

YES
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Caldwell_Holt>
Grateful Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
In article

Yet Holt may not be the guy I was remembering. It is those 35 years old insights that can occur and get me scratch my brow. One of those many themes that come to mind. Holt BTW is right on. He is buried about here somewhere.
Wet cold 50 F day.
Bill who thinks Charlie knows :))
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

It was 1980 that I read this interview, not the mid-seventies.
Here is the article that led so many places....
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1980-07-01/Plowboy-Interview-John-Holt.aspx
We bought all John's books that were then available. Unfortunately we made the mistake of loaning them to someone and it was the last we ever saw of them. We no longer loan books to anyone, other than our children.
The books led us to Urie Bronfenbrenner and others that I cannot remember now.
Here is wiki's article on John
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Caldwell_Holt
A quote in the wiki article is one that influenced us greatly, John's philosophy summed up...."... the human animal is a learning animal; we like to learn; we are good at it; we don't need to be shown how or made to do it. What kills the processes are the people interfering with it or trying to regulate it or control it."
Lee and Billy spoke of this.
Thanks for the memories, Bill. :-)
Charlie
In article

Just like the cheap seats I can look about stored papers and find gold.
John Gatto !! Check the Youtube for sure
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_Gatto>
<http://books.google.com/books?as_auth=John+Taylor+Gatto&sa=X&oi=print&ct =title&cad=author-navigational&hl=en>
<http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/john_gatto.html
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogCc8ObiwQ

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

I misunderstood the assumption and question. I remember John Gatto *now* that you mention him.
"My brain is like a sieve" ~~Thomas Dolby
Charlie. winamp - "Aliens Ate My Buick" - Ability to Swing - 4:30 - Thomas Dolby