Air Conditioning Problem?

Hi,

I have a dilema and need some advice. This past w "Leak search indoor coil found leak in rt. side of A-coil @ end loops - also possible leak in coil instelf also rt. side"

He quoted us $903 to replace the coil.

I talked to him and we agreed to see if we could wait until next year to do the work. I have used the air conditioning all summer without any problems. Now I am being transferred and have to fill out a disclosure regarding my house. If I really have an air conditioning problem, I am obligated to say so.

My dilema:

1) I am not really convinced I have a problem since the air conditioning has been working fine since May. The technician only found the problem after we had him look for a leak.

2) I only paid $3000 for the total air conditioning system. $900 seems like a lot to replace a coil.

Any advice?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
WORSS

You are a tight-ass. You want 1/2 of your $3000 air conditioner replaced and you are whining about $900?

Too bad you posted your story in a public forum. Now you HAVE to disclose the defect.

Fool!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Just because it worked for a while does not meat thee is not a small leak. It may take until next spring to leak enough to stop working. It was a mild summer here and a drop off of efficency may not be noticed. Get it checked again if you think the first guy was wrong.

So? I once bought a car for $15. It cost me $150 to rebuild the engine. See, you don't have it so bad.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not out of the ordinary, get a second opinion if you're concerned.

Repairs are usually like that.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

This is Turtle.

Hold up here a minute. Needing 1 pound of freon in 5 years of operation is not a major problem to be dealt with right now. If it is a 1 pound of freon every 5 years, the cost of adding a pound every 5 years will never equal $900.00 repair right now. If you have to add 1 pound at a cost of say $100.00 every 5 years -- it will take 45 years of operation and filling every 5 years to equal the $900.00 repair cost right now. Now with interest added -- it would be about 85 years before you can justify the $900.00 cost. Your not at the point of saying i NEED to do something. Wait a year or 2 years and have it checked again and see.

A example of this is you get your oil changed in your car and the fellow tells your low a Qt. of oil after the 4,000 miles you drove between oil changes. Do you add a little oil before the 4,000 miles is up or rebuild your engine on your car at a cost of $900.00. I would just add a little oil and keep going till it became a problem.

The new leak detector we have now will pick up 1/8 of a ounce of freon a year and you really don't know how bad this leak is. If it was leaking 1 pound of freon every 5 years -- I would add 1 pound every 5 years and move on.

Take your time here. Your not under the gun here.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

---------------------------------- This is good general advice. In the particular case of freon, however, I'd add to the decision whether you care about leaking freon, an ozone depleting gas, into the environment.

Reply to
Abe

Listen to Mr Turtle. If it still cools it works, the guy could have been wrong on the test just trying to get work. I wouldnt say anything in disclosure. Let their tech find it in their inspection

Reply to
m Ransley

"Abe" wrote

Oh, Jeez Leweeze! Anudder Gott Damn Tree Hugger!

"THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

You best get yerself a large sack of corks and head out to Amurica's Heartland because they say that cow flatulence destroys more of the earth's ozone layer than if every drop of freon in the world was released into the atmosphere!

Do yerself a favor: Save the bovine butt plugs! The ozone layer "grows" back. Don't cry to me about global warming when this was one of the coolest summers we've had in the pat 100 years.

Reply to
Red Neckerson

You statement "Don't cry to me about global warming when this was one of the coolest > summers we've had in the pat 100 years." says it all. You don't know what you are talking about. If you did, you would know that global warming is not a uniform warming of the whole world or each year, not is it a large enough that most people would be able to notice at any one location.

The fact is, if your summer (and winter for that matter) was cooler, that might be the result of global warming. Some places will acturally cool some will warm, some will have more and others less rain. The changes will appear small, but pushing the date of the last freeze, just one week, can make a big change in what crops might grow in an area.

I do not want to say that I know the effect of the suggested solution of not fixing an slow leak. It may or may not be a serious factor. I don't know. Clearly you also don't know.

It is too bad that so many Bubas like you refuse to inform themselves. This tends to drive the politics (along with industry bribes aka party contributions) and slow the corrective measures that are needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

---------------------------- I bet Bubba had my whole political ideaology mapped out based one that one statement I made. Sheesh.

In any event, I think it's additive. One leak might not mean much, but many thousands a year, every year, might be significant. Multiply that by all the leaks the world over..and you get my drift.

And by the way...Cows love butt plugs :-)

Reply to
Abe

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

Joe,

You obviously don't get sarcasm or humor.

BTW, blow it out yer ass, hack boy!!!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Moo Moo, cowboy.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Oscar,

I may be a tight-ass as you say, but you are simply an ass.

Bill

conditioning

Reply to
WORSS

A couple years ago, the global conference on global warming (held in Washington DC) was cancelled account of a friek snow storm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon