Global warming and your garden

You need to improve your reading material. What does disappearing ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica (not to mention the attendant

200' rise in ocean levels) suggest to you? Heating or cooling? Hmmm?
Reply to
Billy

If the idea of a greenhouse is to trap solar radiation (electromagnetic radiation: EMR) in order to raise its' interior temperature, then that is exactly what greenhouse gases are doing. Not to put too fine a point on it, their covalent bonds absorb EMR in multiples of the lowest bond energy. The absorbed energy is converted into kinetic energy which maybe linear, rotational, oscillation (Consider a molecule as a series of weights held together by springs. You can throw the molecule [linear], the molecule will tumble [rotational], and the constituent bodies will oscillate [the weights will move in and out in relation to each other]). The EMR has increased the movement of that molecule (water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone, or CFCs) and that is what we call heat. These molecules then passe that kinetic energy on to other atmospheric molecules and heat the atmosphere.

Citation please. Who says that?

Reply to
Billy

And you wanted to swim in the non-chlorinated end of the pool;-)

Reply to
Billy

(snip, snippety, snip, snip)

Citation to support statement please.

Reply to
Billy

What did it mean during the time of Eric the Red and the other Viking explorers. It ain't the first time it has happened.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Nope:

(The glass in a green-house prevents convection -- obviously CO2 does not limit convection and its effect on global temperature should go by a different name.) Even most AGW fanatics agree with this.

Paul E. Lehmann

Pretty close, 6" X 18". I did on the Dent last year, and will probably try to on my first harvest of Golden Batam this year, and the Dent. The patches were a little close last year 10'. But the batam was done by the time the Dent flowered. But now you've made me paranoid. I have some commercial Dent started as well as Golden Bantam. Maybe I should just plant them instead of my volunteers. What was you thinkin'?

Reply to
Billy

As I with a feeble mind looks at this stuff. The increase of heat has caused much of the ice about to melt. The recently melted ice no longer reflects energy back so it warms things up a bit. Then why the cool spring? Well the ice that melted flows into the ocean where the salt content is lowered. No big deal but the ocean as a heat sink is reduced hence wider shifts in temperature fluctuations.

Bill

Next URL is the devil Al Gore

Next Url is the best we got

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bill

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

sorry... but corn is *so* promiscuous... although if they flower at different times you should be ok. besides, even dent corn is ok 'on the cob' if you pick it young enough & cook it right away. no need to be paranoid.

i started my last 6 white cucumber seeds. a mouse got into the enclosed porch & ate them, & all my gourd, melons & pumpkins. i can replant the others, but i have no more heirloom white cucumber :( lee

Reply to
enigma

Discover Magazine - several issues ago.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Hot again, cold again, the weather goes up and down. Freeman Dyson is indeed a heavy weight and a man to be listened to. Poor Eric the Red went during the good times and his colony survived 450 years and then got stranded in the cold. This isn't my response. Steven Hawking is a very heavy weight. Since the February 2004 release of the scientist statement speaking out against political interference in science and calling for the restoration of scientific integrity to policy making, a steady stream of scientists has expressed their concern by adding their signatures to the statement. Initially signed by 62 leading scientists, the statement now bears the signature of more than 12,000 scientists from all 50 states and several U.S. territories, including 52 Nobel laureates, 62 National Medal of Science winners, 194 members of the National Academies of Science, and science advisors to both Republican and Democratic presidents dating back to Eisenhower.

saw to the dismantling of the Office of Technological Assessment which advised Congress. Then Jim Tozzi and John Graham promoted the Data Quality Act which effectively did away with scientific modeling, even though we still use it to assess nuclear war head effectiveness. The Republican War on Science by Chris Moony,

and you may want to take a look at

Billy

Oh, the Dent corn takes forever (90+days), the Golden Bamtam (65 or so days). The Dent corn can be used as hominy or flour. I've had no luck catching it at the eating stage. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. Mice got most of my first run at peppers too. This time I'm sealing the top with clothes pins. At least mine can be replaced. Sorry about your loss.

I tried to order a hand spindle from a site in Michigan. They were supposed to email me with an order form but never did. There is a store that handles them, an hour away. I need to find what I need and have them order it for me.

All ten of my peanuts are up. The trick now is to keep them happy.

Reply to
Billy

Google "greenhouse gases" or 'global warming". They will give you the definition that I gave you.

Reply to
Billy

Global warming leads to Ice Ages.

Watch the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".

It's scientifically accurate.

Seriously.

Reply to
Omelet

He is right.

Global warming leads to ice ages.

Reply to
Omelet

I'm in zone 6b, in the mountains of western North Carolina and my rhododendrons started blooming a week ago! That's early for us. My irises started blooming over a week ago and I have a lot of other perennials blooming as well. Last year we had just warm temperatures in December that the forsythia bloomed. Then in early spring we had a week or more of temperatures in the high 70's and 80's. That was followed by a week of hard frost and the whole area lost all the fruit on the fruit trees. I also a Japanese Maple and a bunch of roses that were already in leaf. I thought I lost a second Japanese maple; and in a sense I did. Because when it finally showed some life, the shoots were from below the graft line, so I don't expect to get the same tree as I had before. I also thought it killed my hibiscus, since the whole top appeared dead; but this spring it's sending some life from the base. When I thought it was dead I replaced it. Now I have two!

Regards, June

Reply to
June

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

i just bought a new spindle & a lucet at the NH Sheep & Wool festival (& some Zombie sock yarn, & i gave some Ravelry friends homemade cherry chocolate chip ice cream & maple ale, & they gave me more sock yarn as a return gift). my spindle is the top one on this page:

i do think hand tools should be pretty as well as useful... ;) the lucet is on this page:
i love lucets. my other one is a very small pocket lucet, without a handle, maybe 2.5" total length, in walnut.

which reminds me, i have some raw peanuts from a peanut plant that someone at Agway overwatered (rendering it unfit for sale, so they gave it to me. i get a lot of free stuff there). i need to plant those & see if they'll grow.

lee

Reply to
enigma
[...]

How beautiful! Thanks for that link! I'm not a fiber artist, but I can think of a relative who would LOVE something that exotic and aesthetic. I might even try it myself...

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone