Global warming and your garden

Page 1 of 8
WARMING CLIMATE IS CHANGING LIFE ON GLOBAL SCALE, SAYS NEW STUDY A vast array of physical and biological systems across the earth are being affected by warming temperatures caused by humans, says a new analysis of information not previously assembled all in one spot. The effects on living things include ****earlier leafing of trees and plants ****over many regions; movements of species to higher latitudes and altitudes in the northern hemisphere; changes in bird migrations in Europe, North America and Australia; and shifting of the oceans' plankton and fish from cold- to warm-adapted communities. -- full story > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080514131125.htm
Any NG members notice "earlier leafing of trees and plants"? I realize it's a very short time scale...but...
Inquiring minds...
Persephone
On Fri, 16 May 2008 03:04:24 -0700, Persephone wrote:

We are about 10 days behind normal in Southern NH.
If you have any extra global warming, please send it our way. Email will be fine.
John

Give it five days. Just about the time you dry out. That's fortunate because otherwise you'd have mold;-)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Here you are John. You may have 20 degrees of our 103 allotment for today
oooooooooo oooooooooo
Emilie NorCal
In article

You can have some of my 101F too, ay caramba. Es demasiado caliente aqui. "All" of the Golden Bantam corn came up today, bam. One of nine peanuts stuck it's head up as well.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

joined the garden today, two peanuts, 6 green beans, 9 sunflowers, 16 Dent corn (Yellow Daddy or some such), 16 Golden Bantam, and 6 tromboncini, a.k.a. zuchetta (kind of a vining zuch, tastes a little like artichoke). Not that bad for a day of heat.
Last year was a pitiful year in my garden. There were three day when the temperature was at or over a hundred. The year before was a great year for me and there were 12 days at or over one hundred.
The plants like the heat, but after a day of piddling around in the garden, I smell like a tired horse.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

how far apart are you planting the dent & sweet corn? you don't save corn seed do you? lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Pretty close, 6" X 18". I did on the Dent last year, and will probably try to on my first harvest of Golden Batam this year, and the Dent. The patches were a little close last year 10'. But the batam was done by the time the Dent flowered. But now you've made me paranoid. I have some commercial Dent started as well as Golden Bantam. Maybe I should just plant them instead of my volunteers. What was you thinkin'?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

sorry... but corn is *so* promiscuous... although if they flower at different times you should be ok. besides, even dent corn is ok 'on the cob' if you pick it young enough & cook it right away. no need to be paranoid.
i started my last 6 white cucumber seeds. a mouse got into the enclosed porch & ate them, & all my gourd, melons & pumpkins. i can replant the others, but i have no more heirloom white cucumber :( lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Oh, the Dent corn takes forever (90+days), the Golden Bamtam (65 or so days). The Dent corn can be used as hominy or flour. I've had no luck catching it at the eating stage. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. Mice got most of my first run at peppers too. This time I'm sealing the top with clothes pins. At least mine can be replaced. Sorry about your loss.
I tried to order a hand spindle from a site in Michigan. They were supposed to email me with an order form but never did. There is a store that handles them, an hour away. I need to find what I need and have them order it for me.
All ten of my peanuts are up. The trick now is to keep them happy.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

i just bought a new spindle & a lucet at the NH Sheep & Wool festival (& some Zombie sock yarn, & i gave some Ravelry friends homemade cherry chocolate chip ice cream & maple ale, & they gave me more sock yarn as a return gift). my spindle is the top one on this page: http://tinyurl.com/69qzsh
yeah, i do think hand tools should be pretty as well as useful... ;) the lucet is on this page: http://tinyurl.com/5ee4el
i love lucets. my other one is a very small pocket lucet, without a handle, maybe 2.5" total length, in walnut.

which reminds me, i have some raw peanuts from a peanut plant that someone at Agway overwatered (rendering it unfit for sale, so they gave it to me. i get a lot of free stuff there). i need to plant those & see if they'll grow.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
[...]

[...]
How beautiful! Thanks for that link! I'm not a fiber artist, but I can think of a relative who would LOVE something that exotic and aesthetic. I might even try it myself...<g>
Persephone
Persephone wrote in wrote:

if you get a chance, go look at his furniture gallery: http://www.thomasgoldingfineartwoodcarving.com
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Guess you folks know about stuff like this.
<http://www.petersvalley.org/workshops/fibers/2008fiber-structure.htm
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

We seem to be having a cooler spring. Leaves out pretty much as usual.
Look at this for weather history going back to 1945 for your area.
<http://www.wunderground.com/history/
Enjoy!
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Persephone wrote:

On the Paul James gardening show this last weekend he was talking about gardening in the cities. He said that some cities have a growing zone as much as one climate zone warmer. This is because of Urban Heat Island effect (UHI).
I would be cautious about thinking of or planning a garden depending on the supposed "global warming" for every area of the United States or the world. For example, there has been significant crop loss for the wine industry this spring in France and parts of California because of cold snaps in the early spring.

Leafing, I don't know but I have tomatoes flowering, and that is very strange on the north side of this hill.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
<Persephone> wrote in message

No, I live in TN and this is one of the coolest darkest springs we've had in years. This morning it was 58F and the heat was coming up. We never needed heat here after May 1st before.

yep, coolest darkest wet spring. No global warming here this year, but then that is why the name was changed to climate change from global warming. Nothing like marketing. ~tom "Persephone" wrote in message

people. It will all work itself out.