Frost on the Hibiscus

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when there is sunlight?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Miller

Whatever floats your boat.

You must have a lot of free time on your hands.

It would be wiser to just move the plants indoors.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

If you miss a night, get out before the sun hits the plant and wash off the frost with water. Old trick I learned from an old gardner long ago.

Reply to
Charles

Frost is only ice crystals and it forms around 32°. The important thing is to protect tropical hibiscus from freezes -- 32 and below. You cover a plant to trap the ground heat to prevent the plant from freezing. Some people will put lights under a blanket when a severe freeze is coming to keep the temperature up. Beware of causing a fire with the lights.

Reply to
T.L.Miller