Fertilization

I have just have planted several rows of green beans (pole beans). What does anyone think about spreading urea on the soil before they sprout I know farmers do this for soy beans Also what does anyone think about putting nitrogen the soil with sweet corn also another farming practice. I do not know maybe there is better natural fetilizers that can be used. Chuckie sprouting plants in zone 5
NO, NO, NO! Don't put urea on pole beans! You will get tons of vines with little or no pods. And no, farmers do not put urea or any other form of nitrogen on soybeans. Soybeans are a legume and fix their own nitrogen from the atmosphere. Nitrogen on sweet corn is a different story. You need about 120-150 pounds of actual nitrogen per acre for sweet corn. That's about 3 pounds per 1,000 square feet for a small plot.
Date: 22 May 2005 18:03:54 -0700 Local: Sun,May 22 2005 9:03 pm Subject: Fertilization
I have just have planted several rows of green beans (pole beans). What does anyone think about spreading urea on the soil before they sprout I know farmers do this for soy beans Also what does anyone think about putting nitrogen the soil with sweet corn also another farming practice. I do not know maybe there is better natural fetilizers that can be used. Chuckie sprouting plants in zone 5
beans and other legumes are generally nitrogen 'fixers' - beneficial bacteria on their roots will be able to utilize nitrogen from the air. They do not need additional nitrogen. Corn usually does - you can use chemical sources, or various manures, or, like the native Americans in New England, bury a dead fish at the base of each plant.