Do these pole beans ever have beans?

Last year, I planted Italian Green beans and enjoyed them. This year I planted the Kentucky King, a bush bean that looks like a string bean and tastes like an Italian Green Bean. They were somewhat slow in growing, so I also planted the Kentucky Wonder pole bean. The bush bean gave me some beans this weekend, but the pole beans and growing like Jack and the beanstalk but I have yet to see a bean on them. Do these things ever have beans or are they going to be like my gorgeous watermelon vines when I was 13 that had vines and vines and vines but no watermelon?

Jose

Reply to
J Golden

Pole beans are normally a bit later to start bearing than bush beans, but they will bear more continuously.

Because I only eat the beans fresh and don't can or freeze them, I prefer pole beans for the longer (and less rushed) harvest. Picking most of them while standing up is also a big advantage.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to them.

J Golden

If you wish to harvest easily (at least for bush beans), do what I do...grow in containers. I have a table on my deck filled with 6 to 10 inch pots, each with 5 to 9 bean plants in it. Well fed, well watered, they are prolific producers and easily harvested. Bush beans seem particularly suited to the culture.

I am growing Blue Lake, Romano, haricot vert and one other bush type I cannot recall at the moment.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

If you're not satisfied with the yield, try Northeaster next year. I've always had good luck with them (in Zone 5) and they can get quite long without getting stringy.

Reply to
lgb