How long do green beans keep?

How long do green beans keep in a refrigerator? I ask, because I have a couple of bean pods that are big enough to pick, but most are tiny and will be a while before they are ready. I just wondered how long they will keep while I wait for more to add to them. Yes, it's my first year growing green beans of any kind. So I haven't a clue what I'm doing.

Reply to
andrewmoquin

Just two green beans... never should have made it home, should have been eaten directly.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Eat those first couple of beans raw, in a salad. Or throw them into a soup or strir-fry. They will hold several days in the refrigerator, if you must, but better to enjoy them fresh.

Yes, you can eat them raw, even though they are fuzzy. (Someone did come up with an extra smooth snap bean, to make for more pleasant texture when raw in salads.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

The ones I buy at the grocery store seem okay (no visible signs of decay) for about 3 or 4 days. I have a "warm" refrigerator.

Refrigerator should be kept at 34F to 40F. Ones with high traffic on the colder side. Any colder and you risk water crystalizing formation of water within the vegetables. Breaking down the vegetable cell structure. Making them limp.

Reply to
Dioclese

I agree :-)) But they can also be added raw to a salad or chopped up and added to a stir fry.

Reply to
FarmI

Right, can also stick one up each nostril and pretend to be a walrus! hehe

I keep a zip-loc bag in the freezer for saving cut-up overgrown and errant green beans, comes in handy for cooking soups/stews in winter... there are always some elusive green beans that become too tough to eat otherwise, I usually collect 3-4 pint bagsful... sometimes there are just too many in a harvest so the extras go into the soup bag, just de-string first. I do the same with okra and bell pepper... chop up the tougher outer leaves of collards and kale to freeze for soups too, just cut out the tought rib.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Do you ever let your beans go to the dry stage and then use the dried beans?

Reply to
FarmI

Only happens if I miss one or two that are hiding. It doesn't pay to go the DIY dry bean route in the home garden. Dry beans are grown by the many acres because today it really only pays if harvested mechanically. It's much easier and far less costly to buy your dried beans at the market. I tried growing Fordhook limas to eat fresh but it entailed a lot of effort for very few beans, best to buy frozen.

Reply to
brooklyn1

"FarmI" wrote in news:4a3d9ae4$0$2619$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

i bet he's too lazy... although i prefer freezing green (yellow, purple) string beans, once i have enough in the freezer i let the rest go to dry. i tried growing purple limas last year, but it was too cool & they never got anywhere. OTOH, i had fresh peas until the beginning of August! lee

Reply to
enigma

I've never gained that impression about Sheldon. He's opinionated but then so are most of us old farts - we've formed our views on life and we know what's important to us. Sheldon has frequently showed pics of his place over the years and it's as neat as a pin and that takes work.

My place isn't neat but I don't like it neat.

I like shelling out dried beans. I dont't grow enough of them though so I must put them on the list for the coming season. Himself doesn't like fresh beans so I only ever grow a few. I must try to sneak more into his food and see if he notices. Last time I did that and mentioned that he'd eaten beans he insisted they were peas. Sigh! See what I mean about opionated old farts? I did the meal, I knew what was in it but he tells me it was peas, not beans. Sometimes ya just gotta laugh.

Reply to
FarmI

This is a first, I've been called a lot of things but no one has ever called me lazy, I can out work any three people and I do 24/7... even people a 1/3 my age can't keep up. I've been called an obsessed neat freak but never lazy. Anyone wanna follow me around I can use the help but ya gotta keep up. I'm 66 years old and bet that little twerp couldn't last an hour before she'd be yelling mommy, mommy save me.

I've been working on propagating plants at my creek, I think it's looking good:

kept neat:
keep my rental neat too:
miles of forest to keep from growing back:
have some details too:
new fruit trees are growing like weeds:
mowed:

brooklyn1