Dried out window boxes

Well, I let 3 window boxes wither. One was petunias, one marigolds, and one Alyssum. The petunias were still green but brittle. The marigolds had a couple decent blooms still, and were not quite brittle. I cut off the tops of those two and gave them a moderate watering. It's pretty windy here so I might give them more water this evening. I know it might be a bit late in the season to get any more blooms (I am in New York City) but was this the right course of action?
Chris
PS: The Alyssum, which my wife never liked and would just as soon let die, was still plugging along nicely. Lots of blooms that are attracting the most amazing variety of blue, green and gold tiny flies.
Chris wrote:

My geranium pots have dried out once too often so that the petunias and other smaller filler flowers have died. The geraniums are still doing OK as long as I remember to prune off the dead blossoms.
Next year consider adding some polymer crystals to your potting soil. They absorb a lot of water and release it slowly so if you forget to water, it will help for a few days.
Our daughter has also added drip irrigation to their lawn sprinklers to water her many large patio plants and it has made a big difference. Her plants are huge and full and look as though they have just come out of the greenhouse.
gloria p
Chris wrote:

Since they are annuals that must be coming to end their season I wouldn't bother going to much trouble.
David

Well, they all budded immediately. If the weather holds, I will have another set of blooms. Sweet!
Chris

This is what I got after trimming them
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=45005&id=100000499999379&saved #!/album.php?id=100000499999379&aid=45005
Chris

Those pics were taken today, for what it's worth )
Chris