Dog Urine on lawn

Page 2 of 2
The problem with urine on the lawn is that it contains urea, which has the same effect as dousing the lawn with too much nitrogen. You can, if you don't mind the effort, apply water right after the deed to dilute it, but you may wind up with green, lush patches of grass that stand out from the rest of the lawn.
In the long run, the easiest solution is to establish an out-of-the-way area for a doggie bathroom. This will take some work to get the dog trained to using that area exclusively, e.g., a week or two being taken out on a leash and directed to the area and rewarded hansomely immediately afterwards.
Here's more details from the University of Minnesota Extension Service: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLN-Nov0199.html
Good luck! Suzy O, Zone 5 Wis.

Not sure how well this works, but a couple of people have told me to pu
a tablespoon of vineagar into a gallon of water. Use this mixture fo the dogs drinking water. If she balks at the taste, you may want t start out with a teaspoon per gallon first, then build up to a Tbsp t acclimate the dog to the taste. We have two dogs, a shepard mix an a pomeranian/dachshund (sounds weird, but is gorgeous!) and don't see to have "brown spot" problems for some strange reason, even though w don't use the vineagar. They are confined to the back yard, unless w have them on a leash, so they don't leave "problems" for others.
The lady that lives next to a Pit bull needs to call animal control Pits are ILLEGAL in many areas, especially uncontrolled ones as this on obviously was. Good luck!!
Frank Solis Wrote:

-- bleu_jay_lady
I used to have friends with two large dogs. She mixed a little tomato juice in the dog's food. He lawn was beautiful, not a sopt on it and the dogs seemed to gobble it down.
: : Not sure how well this works, but a couple of people have told me to put : a tablespoon of vineagar into a gallon of water. Use this mixture for : the dogs drinking water. If she balks at the taste, you may want to : start out with a teaspoon per gallon first, then build up to a Tbsp to : acclimate the dog to the taste. We have two dogs, a shepard mix and : a pomeranian/dachshund (sounds weird, but is gorgeous!) and don't seem : to have "brown spot" problems for some strange reason, even though we : don't use the vineagar. They are confined to the back yard, unless we : have them on a leash, so they don't leave "problems" for others. : : The lady that lives next to a Pit bull needs to call animal control - : Pits are ILLEGAL in many areas, especially uncontrolled ones as this one : obviously was. Good luck!! : : : Frank Solis Wrote: : > Am temporarily keeping our daughters dog which is a female. Naturally, : > it urinates at random spots on the lawn, leaving brown circles. I've : > been sprinkling lime on the spots hoping to counter the acid of the : > urine. What advice do you experienced grass growers have for me? : > Please don't say get rid of the dog. I've already thought of that. : > : > Frank : : : -- : bleu_jay_lady

This method attempts to change the pH of the dogs urine. Urine pH controls what and how many bacteria inhabit the bladder, so to intentionally change it seems a really bad idea to me. I have huge (200 lb.+) dogs using a very small lawn area, and with regular rinsing I have no browning at all. And my dogs bladder health remains as nature intended.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/Dog_lawn_problems.html
--
Toni
South Florida USA