daylily blight

Each year my daylilies become sickly and yellowing. I am not sure why. Closely looked at the base of the stems and noticed little bugs, kinda of gnat looing along with some white-granules clinging to the stems. The granules remind me of aphid eggs but no adults to be seen. I am assuming that these bugs are sucking the life from my daylilies.
Does anyone know what these guys are and how to I kill them?