Can you grow Oleander from cuttings?

Says it all. ??
Yes, but DON'T lick the stems before dipping in rooting hormone...........
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

hormone...........
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:14:13 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
oh please do lick some oleander....
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:30:37 +0100, "David Hill"

Interesting. I wonder if it *did* have a positive effect. There was a Consumers Report survey/study a number of years ago that correlated regular car-washing with longevity of vehicles. Obviously, washing a car isn't going to do anything about engine wear, but equally obviously, those who frequently wash probably are also meticulous about routine maintenance. Perhaps cutting-lickers were more serious about overall care and attention.
An easy way to make "copies" of many shrubs is to take a branch of the desired shrub, scrape it lightly at an area that you will be able to fit it under or on top of the soil, put a rock or brick on it and wait. By the Fall you should have roots formed and you can cut the rooted branch of and pot it up. It is going to have to be babied for awhile until it has developed a sufficient root system (hot houses work nicely, even temporary ones that you can throw together yourself). DK
wrote:

it
or
--------------060307000004010004090804 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Since we are talking about the highly poisonous Oleander, I'm thinking sucking on the end of the cutting would be a pretty bad idea.....
It has been said that people have died from poisoning by using Oleander branches to roast hot dogs. Personally, I would never plant it.
dkat wrote:

wrote:
--------------060307000004010004090804--
WHERE did I say ANYTHING about sucking on the end of an Oleander!? BAD BAD IDEA!!! An Oleander can kill a horse.
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">In my day there was no such thing as rooting hormone, in any form, but </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->it </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">was thought that if you just sucked the end of the cuttings for a moment </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->or </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">two it helped them to root, </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap="">Interesting. I wonder if it *did* have a positive effect. There was a Consumers Report survey/study a number of years ago that correlated regular car-washing with longevity of vehicles. Obviously, washing a car isn't going to do anything about engine wear, but equally obviously, those who frequently wash probably are also meticulous about routine maintenance. Perhaps cutting-lickers were more serious about overall care and attention. </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
"... Perhaps cutting-lickers were more serious about overall care and attention. ....."
I always understood that the acid in saliva was a mild irritant to the stem. same principal as rooting hormone.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

50-60-70- years ago when i was growing up we dunked the stem in vinegar which was said to stimulate the rooting process. now that i am so much smarter... i usually just stick them in the soil and if i tell it to root or die, it will usually root! :) heheheh!!! if it is a plant that i would die for.. it may root or it may not! sometimes i use harmones if handy.. sometimes use superthrive. I have cut long stems from oleander in the spring, like maybe Feb-Mar, stick them in a bucket of water with the ends of the stems only submerged and in time most of them will root. love..leona zone 7 USA
Absolutely.