Bees, anyone?

Nightmare indeed. It is more than rumored that the US has rows and rows, floors and floors, building after building of super computers that monitor every international phone call, every radio frequency, every email of the entire world. What! You do not watch science fiction?

Hide what, the humus thing was on TV every other night eight years ago.

Reply to
Nad R

software?

Narus, now owned by Boeing, was founded in 1997 by Israeli security experts to create and sell mass surveillance systems for governments and large corporate clients.

The company is best known for creating NarusInsight, a supercomputer system which is allegedly used by the National Security Agency and other entities to perform mass surveillance and monitoring of public and corporate Internet communications in real time.

Narus provides Egypt Telecom with Deep Packet Inspection equipment (DPI), a content-filtering technology that allows network managers to inspect, track and target content from users of the Internet and mobile phones, as it passes through routers on the information superhighway.

Reply to
Billy

[...]

I think Frontline had a program about that few years ago. The installation was in San Francisco, IIRC. Dunno if it was as inclusive as you suggest, but it was portrayed as pretty darn inclusive. Think it also said that the amount of information was virtually impossible to address.

And of course everything we see on TV is always, invariably, true and provable.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It is symptomatic of our environment. Nobody knows if it's true, but it sounds like our government. They spied on us illegally, and then, retroactively passed a law that said it was OK. You seem to have an honest government, at least your Prime Minister seems decent, but here and in Europe, there has been a shift to the right since Bush. If your computer has a web cam, I'd cover its lens when it wasn't in use. The neighborhood has changed.

Reply to
Billy

(whack)

Wouldn't want to share a link, would you? I don't doubt what you say, but my queries didn't solicit confirmation of the story.

Reply to
Billy

It was in the AT&T building in San Francisco. The software came from Narus of Sunnyvale, Calif., and is called Deep Packet Inspection (DPI).

What I don't understand is why ISPs keep track of the information on our activities to begin with.

It certainly seems to be "1984", and not "Brave New World".

If you watch the documentary "Corporation", you'll find that reporting known falsehoods (lies) as news isn't against the law.

"The Corporation"

(and at better libraries near you)

Reply to
Billy

(snip of unrelated remark) Eavesdropping machines with the capacity to pick up words is not what is being discussed. That is a differnt topic entirely. I'm trying to get a cite about humus buyers being targeted that is more than just usenet gossip.

I do hope that just because something has been on TV, you don't think it that makes it true.

Reply to
FarmI

And you know about that because......................?

If all that came out, do you really think the humus buying spying wouldn't have?

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person but I also like to differntiate between reality and speculation. There is still no cite (other than gossip) to support the humus spying story.

You seem to have an

I agree that the western world has moved very far right since 9/11. But that does not mean that the minions of the right are any more effective than minions of the left or minions of the in betweeners.

I still have a security clearance from my government (as I still do casual work for them) and I know that most bureaucracies are largely ineffective and we've already got examples of that. 9/11 happened despite the enormous resources the US puts into security. A low level military guy in Iraq steals and expose State Department cables.

If you and Nad expect me to believe there is some degree of competence in spooking on humus buyers then one or other of you are going to have to come up with better proof than usenet gossip.

Reply to
FarmI

if you do work for the security of your country, you must be crappy at your job! Use these search terms "Supermarket FBI humus terrorist". I have a feeling if your out side of the US, your search information is probably limited. Every nation has it own search parameters. Try the US Google instead your own countries google. Also were talking eight years ago, news papers were just getting started on the Internet. Eight years ago the web as news information was limited. Not like today.

I live in Michigan, Dearborn Michigan has the highest number of Muslims living in the United States. It was big news here as the arrest of people and the electronic searches of the supermarkets.

If your looking for information beyond the Internet, that's it, accept it or not, I could care less. I guess its like global warming, accept it or not as proof. Global warming is not real, that flooded country of Australia it is a myth here in the US.

Nad R

There does seem to be more money for corporate sponsored, right-wing minions than there is for status quo or left-wing minions, but then there is that market share thing, where controlling a big share of a small market may be better than owning a small share of a big market.

The world seems full of Elmer Gantrys/Tartuffes, but I have faith that most people are good, and just want to hang-out with friends and families instead of chasing after power.

Don't look at me. This is the first that I heard about it. My only point is that most people won't be surprised if our government had used some form of profiling to spy on us.

Reply to
Billy

my backyard, but I was unaware of it.

Reply to
Billy

Prepared Hummus purchased by middle east folks does not make sense to me. So easy to make with so many options. Guess crazy is about in force.

Fav Hummus

cup cooked chickpeas or others

1/4 cup bean juice 3/4 cup Tahini Juice of two lemons 1 T Soy Sauce 2 T Olive Oil 1 to 3 Cloces garlic

I'd monitor Garlic or lemon users along with sesame seed purchases.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Forgot to mention "The Best Book on Bees".

"The ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture" 1947 Amazon has it for $48 should be in library.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I guess you know by now that the falafel profiling search was done from supermarket databases of people who use store I.D. cards for discounts.

The communications trolling of American correspondence that you referred to was done by the NSA using Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) from Narus of Sunnyvale, Calif., a content-filtering technology that allows network managers to inspect, track and target content from users of the Internet and mobile phones, as it passes through routers on the information superhighway.

In San Francisco the "secret room" is Room 641A at 611 Folsom Street, the site of a large SBC phone building, three floors of which are occupied by AT&T. High-speed fiber-optic circuits come in on the 8th floor and run down to the 7th floor where they connect to routers for AT&T's WorldNet service, part of the latter's vital "Common Backbone." In order to snoop on these circuits, a special cabinet was installed and cabled to the "secret room" on the 6th floor to monitor the information going through the circuits. (The location code of the cabinet is

070177.04, which denotes the 7th floor, aisle 177 and bay 04.) The "secret room" itself is roughly 24-by-48 feet, containing perhaps a dozen cabinets including such equipment as Sun servers and two Juniper routers, plus an industrial-size air conditioner.

This same technology is being used today to suppress the revolt in Egypt.

Reply to
Billy

It is all old news. Over the years there is just so much fear out there at some point one will go nuts or say I no longer care. They track me so what. If they want to know what I eat and do, I no longer care. My main goal in life is to enjoy life and it not run from it. I will say what I want, eat what I want, do what I want until someone says I cannot do the things I do. When I get to that bridge, I will have to analyze then to comply or resist.

Reply to
Nad R

Where are the "binders and fillers"? What is Cargill to do, if you don't buy processed foods?

Reply to
Billy

"Nad R" wrote

Nad, you are an amazing mix of completely unfounded idiocy and partly understood security. Either way, I see so no reason why you are posting this compost in the rec.gardens group who are talking about plants and gardens and such.

Reply to
cshenk

it is almost like Billy's posting of the Godwin's law. Perhaps call a part of Chaos Theory. Start with any topic and over time the topic will diverge in to different subjects. It is the same in my personal life, start with a subject of interest and soon the mind wanders to different topics. I know others are more capable of focusing on a specific topic. I am like a kid in a candy store of life. I am into everything... For a moment.

As for security in my life, financial privacy ranks allot higher than a private conversation or postings or the things i eat or do. Also Nad or Dan are not my real names, just a pen names. I have a dozen different email accounts and a few web sites with real name soundings. Only thing that can be traced is my IP address.

I also believe this thread will soon be over with. Everyone pretty much said what they wanted. It is winter here, outdoor gardening is a few months away. Seed starting next week... Maybe.

Reply to
Nad R

Please try reading for comprehension. I don't work in security and never have.

Use these search terms "Supermarket FBI humus terrorist". I have a

OK. I'll do that. I've found a way I can use US google but since you havent' posted any cite for any information other than forum gossip, I doubt that there is any information other than gossip and conspiracy theory to be found.

Also were talking eight years ago,

Reply to
FarmI

Fran, try