A few loonies me thinks

Page 1 of 2
Posting from .RU aka Russia
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On 2/19/2010 12:00 PM, Bill who putters wrote:

Is your garden zone right?
Map shows S Jersey as 7.
As for the Loonies, I think about half of most ng participants are ;)

-5 F last year 3/4/09 here. This year 5 F on 2/7/10. We are in a pocket of sorts. My zone based on my observations .
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On 2/19/2010 12:30 PM, Bill who putters wrote:

OK. I'm in more or less the same zone in northern Delaware and happened to look up thinking about the guy in Canada having trouble growing peppers. Have not noticed any difference here.
Loon you mentioned is more of a spammer. Website he mentions in Russia is one to keep out of.

I live about 1-2- 3 to 6 miles from the heart of S Jersey truck farm paradise. Peppers were common along with tomatoes, string bean, lima melon etc.. About 20 years ago the soil at Ralph's a guy a worked with contacted a disease stunting green peppers and the crop never recovered. Produce just dried up still we had machine picked beans and tomatoes but along with sweets they went away too. Son's worked in factories and farms became housing. Any farming turned to soy and corn essentially at the same time. This from farms that took out for many nutrients years and relied on 5.10 etc. The soil is barren with houses about now. Water filtered due to high nitrates.
Sad in Rural S NJ. Still it was HARD work and the machine encouraged bigger not family farming.
Being Paranoid I think this video is of import. Trying to grow with shade adds a certain familiarity with this scenario .
Yea I know snow up to your ass but take a look anyway.
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUD66kjLVNw

Bill Who picked a basket of string beans for .30 cents 50 years ago
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:00:29 -0500, Bill who putters

Ya' didn't go far enough, Bill. Seems as if you may have a Monsanto shill lurking and injecting into the relevant subject.
Patooie!
Charlie

From: troyc < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

You got me inspired Charlie to place the theme song to mission impossible on. Loud.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:00:51 -0500, Bill who putters

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2010/01/15/sunstein/index.html
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id 84585
Search Sunstein in articles. Just never know who you can trust, eh, old trout? Does gummint take the lead from business or versie vicie?
Rhetorical, of course...we know who calls the shots. I'm ordering my last batch of OP seeds tonite, corn in particular for freeze storage, while I can still get varieties that aren't contaminated by monsatano.
Charlie, He-haw hallelujah, listening to Norman Blake's "The Democratic Donkey (Is In His Stall Again)"

I saved all your urls for study. AND thanks for the Music.
So how can we spot this folks that want us to behave ?
Here is a short list of items that you can add too.
1. These folks usually lack wisdom which differs from knowledge by experience. 2. Most have never read anything unless it was assigned. 3. Foibles are a part of human nature but foibles plain stupid are just an attempt to relate to the common folk darkly. 4. The lack of experience with no history of intelligence. 5. Seem to favor a party line that is narrow. 6. No poetic resonance. 7. No soul 8. Empty with no warmth.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:31:01 -0500, Bill who putters

Even though you are officially done with this thread, I must comment on your short list........
....dividing the list in half, the first items might describe the sycophants that align themselves with the second half... the reptilian psycopaths...very dangerous the both and so unlike the majority of the people in this world, whom they hold in contempt and seek to keep in fear.
Charlie, Amethystium Isabliss playing in my head....and dreaming of tending the soil, lying under it's blanket of white

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the Plutocrats and the Kleptocrats. Still got wars. Still need jobs. Apparently we are going to get nuclear power, too, even if the free market won't touch it with a 20' pole.

That's what happens when the high for tomorrow is 19F and the morning temp will be 3F even if it does feel like -2F. Only one more month to spring, brother.
Did you know that some people grow peas for their tendrils? This is as embarrassing as grilled, red, bell peppers. I tell ya, there should be an operator's manuel given out at birth, pphhsss.
In article

One last kick at nano technology: http://www.foe.org/pdf/nano_food.pdf

They missed the morning temp...it was 0 at six AM. I'm seriously thinking row covers to get things warmed up. Have access to a bunch of old wooden screen and storm window frames (3ft x 6ft approx) and thinking of covering them with clear poly, hinging two together and making A-frame thingies to place over the raised beds. I tried the PVC hoop thing with poly cover one year, small scale, and it was a PITA.

Yep, I only found out about pea shoots last year and they are delicious. How's 'bout this 'un? Just read about the culinary delights of sweet potato leaves and vine tips when researching sweet tater culture. Fresh in salads and stirfried. New one to me.
Speaking of grilled veggies, last summer my sis-n-law brought a huge bunch of okra which I tossed in the overflow fridge and promply forgot about for a while. When I "found" it, I was grilling something, and decided to grill the whole mess of it, before it went bad. I tossed it with EVO and cajun seasoning and grilled it and all pronounced it most excellant. Never heard tell of that before either.
CHarlie, stomping life back into me frozen toes after filling finch feeders and peckerwood feeders and the waterer

And I thought our birds were tough! I don't see too many birds, but every 2 - 3 days and the feeder is empty again (black sunflower seeds). It's enclosed and hangs by a thin metal rope (squirrels kept chewing through the previous string).
One of our peckerwoods (Northern Flicker) sounds exotic, otherwise we only got Steller Jays for "song birds". http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?allSpecies=y&searchTe xt=steller%20jay
Charlie, how do you water birds when it is 0F outside?
I've spent the last 2 days inside avoiding the rain and enjoying our wood stove.

They gotta be tough this winter. During the worst storm in early Dec. I had ten sock feeders up with thistle seed and was filling them every two days, plus four hanging feeders and two platforms and four suet cages. I've cut back to four socks, two hanging feeders (with black sunflower), one platform and two suet cages. It's hard to estimate numbers of finches in a feeding frenzy, but three of us estimated around 150 goldfinches.

We have the regular old bluejays, northern flickers (they do sound exotic) red bellied peckerwoods, hairy and downy peckerwoods, white breasted and red breasted nuthatchs and brown creepers... all of the above devour suet cakes like crazy. (so do the #%$&&@ starlings)
Tons of goldfinches and purple finches. A few cardinals and chickadees. One other guest we enjoy, but the other birds don't, is a sharp-shinned hawk that regularly snatches a meal around the feeders.
Hope the freeloaders hang around this summer and repay their debt with bugcatching.

I bought a 150 watt submersible heater and have it in a black two gallon rubbermaid pan sitting on top of the birdbath. Shuts off when water temp reaches thirty-five.

ahhhh....sounds cozy....I miss the "old days" with the woodstoves and a cat curled on yer lap...still have a nap kitty though.

Four and 20 black birds baked in a pie...comes to mind. Size 8 shot.

I use a horse water bucket heater. On at 35 and cheap as it doesn't carry the pond stigma price gouge. My pond open all this winter.

My gas fireplace is cool real cool as the thermocouple failed 2 weeks ago. My Back up. Got service sort of on the way with old man winter still about but my roof is almost clear. Gutters dripping and homemade chicken soup in the work which I may add a hint of egg drop soup idea.
Ok I'm Back only because of the zealots.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:21:02 -0500, Bill who putters

One must be careful and bake well done on account of starlings carrying E. coli (and other pathogens), from their dabbling in cowshit. What herbs would you recommend with starling?

Sounds like mine... I think it was about thirty bucks...a cast aluminum donut with a short pigtail.

Now then....chicken soup sounds cozy, and I'm getting a sore throat, good medicine.

Which side? ;-)

Charlie.....winamp....Peter Buffett, "500 Nations: A Musical Journey", track #4 "Columbus: Unforgivable Sins"

Between.
Dharana 22:02 Between Dharana Rock AAC audio file 100
And the waters opened 11:04 Between And the waters opened AAC audio file 100 1 1/16/09 4:35 PM
Stuff to seek and open ones ears West German with India influence.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:44:40 -0600, Charlie wrote:

Starlings seem to like bread crumbs. Not their fault they were introduced in the US.
<snip>

<snip>
Eh? Yes, I work for Monsanto, as an agronomist doing corn & soybean research. So? That qualifies me as a 'loony'?? I have worked for them for since 2008. Before that I was a Hort/Ag instructor for ~14 years, and was a pesticide applicator before that. So? I'm a "loony"?? What exactly did I post that qualifies me as a loony? I began posting to usenet over 12 years ago - and now I'm a loony because....why?
In the thread you reference, a question was asked about Roundup. I answered the questions that were asked. If I posted anything in error you are welcome to point it out.
I personally think ad hominem attacks are a little loony...