Subject Author Posted Replies

)(*&*^&$%&^(& "heirloom" tomatoes
Thought I'd be adventurous this year and investigate heirloom tomatoes. Plants bore a few delicious tomatoes, then decided to take early retirement. They had food, appropriate water, and sunlight....
98
98

green tomatoes
Hi All, On my cherry tomatoes, I have all kinds of clusters of green tomatoes. Some now for over two weeks. If I didn't know better, I would think they were mocking me! How long before they ripen?...
4
4

eggplant flowers
Hi All, This is my first year at "trying" to grow eggplant. I have never seen an eggplant flower before. Is it just me, or is that flower the most beautiful purple dicot flower on the face of this...
9
9

mini xmas trees need advice
I wanted some advice on xmas trees i brought 2 last xmas about 10inch tall in little xmas pots i thought if i grow them they would make ideal xmas trees in the future to pop lights on in the garden...
1
1

plants for trade / exchange ??
Hi all. I have a conifer that we've had for about 3 years now and its in a pot. Unfortunately now I can touch the roots about a few inches into the soils so obviously it needs a bigger growing space...

Use for charcoal ash.
Zone 5 with soil rich with humus. I have a new charcoal grill and one of the features is a pan underneath that collects the ashes. I hate to waste something that may be useful, so I did some reading...
6
6

OT: Happy 4th of July ...
..to American gardeners. Amid the parades and barbecues and sales, let's take a minute to remember h ow lucky we are to live in this country. Each year I re-read George Washington's 1970 address......

ground elder
Howdee I have lots of ground elder all rooted in my hawethorne hedge probably a 20 foot x 6 ft spread, I have been told that the only way to get rid of it is to pull it out, anyone got any other...
1
1

Growing Sprouts
Hi Everyone, I have a problem with my sprout plants that I have never encountered before. Something has eaten the complete growing centre of many of the plants. These are well grown plants. They have...

Strawberry runners redux
(Maybe this didn't get seen because I appended it to earlier post?) Followup: Concerned because beaucoup runners but zip strawberries. Tried to ascertain on-line whether allowing runners inhibits...
11
11

Picking Blueberries
My blueberry plants have matured, and are full of fruit. The berries seem to be in clusters and today one cluster will have a couple of berries that are blue, but quite a few more that are still...
3
3

OT: Arsenic in your water?
They say don't drink from the garden hose. Well, maybe you shouldn't drink from the house faucet either, if you don't like eau de arsenic. The Center for Public Integrity (winner of the Pulitzer...
31
31

Hard soil
I'm trying to get revved up for the weekend lawn job.... How's a good way to break up hard soil? Since it's all level, my first thought is to soak it good for a couple of days. I wonder if renting an...
21
21

OT: CERN research on Higgs boson to resume
You'll recall a few years ago MY PARTICLE was allegedly found by CERN. Now, after several years of tweaking, CERN is prepared, inter alia, to stud y ME further. hedule Excerpt: "By providing...
11
11

High levels of potassium in lawn soil
I tested a few places front and back and all were pretty much the same. pH was 6.5-7.0 everywhere. Nitrogen was non-existent as I expected, phosphorus was the good range. (Sorry I don't have the...
5
5