ground elder

Howdee I have lots of ground elder all rooted in my hawethorne hedge probably a 20 foot x 6 ft spread, I have been told that the only way to get rid of it is to pull it out, anyone got any other advice fore me as it is a nightmare i am plantimg but it gets in the reoots so I have to pull everything up, it even grows under the path

Reply to
annamaria

If there is nothing else green at the bottom of the hedge (ie the bottom of the hawthorn is woody, and there is nothing of special interest growing there), you can spray the ground elder with glyphosate. Just make sure the spray doesn't get onto anything else with green leaves. It isn't absorbed through wood, so shouldn't damage the hawthorn. You may have to spray it a few times to ensure it is killed completely, and doesn't regrow.

Be aware though, that if the ground elder is spreading from a neighbour's garden, unless that is sprayed too, the problem is likely to recur.

Reply to
Jeff Layman