OT: CERN research on Higgs boson to resume

You'll recall a few years ago MY PARTICLE was allegedly found by CERN.

Now, after several years of tweaking, CERN is prepared, inter alia, to stud y ME further.

hedule

Excerpt:

"By providing collisions at energies never reached in a particle accelerato r before, the LHC will open a new window for potential discovery, allowing further studies on the Higgs boson and potentially addressing unsolved myst eries such as dark matter. The ordinary matter of which we, and everything visible in the universe is composed, makes up just 5% of what the universe is made of. The remainder is dark matter and energy, so the stakes for LHC run 2 are high."

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Will they dissect you?

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hmmmmmm. Most men would never admit to being that size.......

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Hi Higgs,

When they spin you around like that, do you get sea sick? And, how do you handle the sudden stops?

:-)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Does the sudden stop give you a "split personality"? Do you find yourself Up, Down, Top, or Bottom? Or just find yourself "strangely charming"? :-)

Reply to
Todd

Down, boy! Don't try to "spin" ME a yarn!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

tart-schedule

And BTW, just bear in mind that without MY particle "...the center would no t hold..."

During its first run, the particle accelerator was used to discover the sub atomic particle known as the Higgs boson, *****without which particles woul d not hold together -- and there would be no matter.***** The state-of-the- art accelerator -- and teams of thousands of CERN-based scientists -- helpe d Peter Higgs win the Nobel Prize last year by proving his theories right.

This was a bummer. There were at least 4 other scientists perhaps equally entitled, but now only MY particle will go down in history. Whatevah...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

You fracture me! :-)

I am surprised they actually found it. Such is the nature of research. Has anyone else been able to reproduce it?

I remember when someone thought they'd broken the light barrier, but upon reproduction by others, it turned out to be a measurement error. Rats!

So, do you get to charge them a royalty for using your name?

-T

Reply to
Todd

Now, after several years of tweaking, CERN is prepared, inter alia, to study ME further.

schedule

Excerpt:

"By providing collisions at energies never reached in a particle accelerator before, the LHC will open a new window for potential discovery, allowing further studies on the Higgs boson and potentially addressing unsolved mysteries such as dark matter. The ordinary matter of which we, and everything visible in the universe is composed, makes up just 5% of what the universe is made of. The remainder is dark matter and energy, so the stakes for LHC run 2 are high."

HB

You can have the 95% mysterious stuff. I'll stick with the 5%.

Reply to
Guv Bob

start-schedule

d not hold..."

subatomic particle known as the Higgs boson, *****without which particles would not hold together -- and there would be no matter.***** The state-of- the-art accelerator -- and teams of thousands of CERN-based scientists -- h elped Peter Higgs win the Nobel Prize last year by proving his theories rig ht.

lly entitled, but now only MY particle will go down in history. Whatevah.. .

just about the same findings, but somehow I'm the 800-lb. gorilla that got all the glory. Heck...it happens..

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"B

That ought to do it!

Reply to
Guv Bob

enuff to use Thunderbird. Thought I had it installed, but when it asked for Newsgroups, it wouldn't take my entries. Will have to wait until neighbor gets back.

I use PeoplePC (earthlink via reseller) via Verizon ISP. Earthlink has all the newsgroups including all binaries. I got it because I send bulk emails to a couple of association memberships and there's no limit on the number of addresses. Verizon (my local) limits users to a few hundred per day - also there's a per hour limit. People PC is something like $15/month. Plus if you're ever on the road, you can always use their dial-up thru land line or cell.

Reply to
Guv Bob