When to pick garlic?

Hi All,
First I picked off sprits from my garlic (yummy!). Now all of the tops have slowly died. Is it time to harvest?
Does garlic require much water?
Many thanks, -T
T wrote:

when the leaves have started to die back, but before they all have. if you wait too long the tunic on the bottom starts to degrade. it's not a big issue if you are just keeping it for yourself, but it is nicer to have a good tunic for storage.

i keep it regularly watered up until the last few weeks.
songbird
On 06/26/2016 03:45 AM, songbird wrote:

Thank you!

In my climate (new england) it's usually 6 weeks or so from scapes (I need to cut them soon) to harvest. I used to wait too long and let the whole plant go brown - and I never had decent wrappers. I now try to harvest with at least 4 leaves still green, and I have better wrappers. Dry in shade for a while after harvest. We are not much for irrigation (though I'll have to step that up if tomorrow's rains don't come - today there was a rain hole in the big line that passed over, so we got nothing), but you're in a desert climate and probably need to - "evenly moist" is a goal up until the last couple of weeks.
On 06/27/2016 04:36 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:

Thank you!