What is my soil missing? (ZONE 6)

stuff that is a high reading. I used some blood and bone (6% nitrogen (N) and 6% phosphorous (P) under a hedge of mine alone with some horse poop. Last spring the hedge had good leaf growth (nitrogen) but few flowers. This spring the leaf growth is even better than last year whilst the blossom growth is several hundred times better. Thats the phosphorous doing its work and that is only at 6%. The horse poop helped a little as well though it is low in P, about 0.5%.

rob

Reply to
George.com

OK, I am very pleased with the size of my garden plants ( except the beans / peas which are mini plants ! ) The greenery is HUGE! There are many tomatoes, but other veggies are producing but lacking huge yields

- again the plants look WONDERFUL! I add rabbit manure from my rabbits which includes some hay, coffee grounds and water when dry, not every day.

I add leaves every fall and till the soil before planting, it looks great.

I have not had the soil tested for PH, our local soil tends to be alkaline, which is what I started with, I did add 2 years ago a bunch of pine needles from under out trees to the soil to help with that..

What to do for next year - is it worth the $80 bucks to have the soil tested? This year, I am not sure I got 80 bucks out of the garden! Thanks - BG , Zone 6

Reply to
BG

Adding some phosphorous (bone meal is cheap) to the soil should increase your blooms and yield if I remember correctly??????

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I used to live in Arkansas, zone 7. The local TV station had a master gardner come on once a week and answer questions from the viewers. He said to put down a super phosphate to make flowers bloom and fruit trees to put onf fruit.

The super phosphate was in the bag that read 0 - 56 - 0, or at least had a high middle number. I bought it wt the co-op for around $8.00 for a large bag (40 to 50 lbs??). The first number is the one that make everything nice and green and makes big leaves.

Do you have a local county extension office? They should do a soil test for $10.00 or less, some do it free.

Good luck.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne