transplanting broccoli

Can broccoli be buried deeper then their containers when transplanted into the garden? I start my plants in a sunny window and always end up with leggy plants. If I could plant them deeper it would help.
Nick " Ya gotta wonder......"
Broccoli (and cabbage, cauliflower, etc.) seem to be able to sprout new roots up to the point of where the seed leaves are on the stem. I have buried them deeper with no problem as long as the seed leaves (or, if they fell off, the point on the stem where they were) stays above ground.
Steve