When To Plant Broccoli Transplants...

Howdy all. For my second year of gardening I will be growing my own broccoli transplants from seed. My question: how early can I set the transplants out? I'm in zone 5. The last frost date is generally around the end of May. Would the middle of April be too early to set out broccoli transplants? Should I use hotcaps or anything when setting them out early?

Any input appreciated. Chris

Reply to
C.Swartz

Properly hardened off Broccoli seedlings can take a light frost or two, but not a heavy one or a freeze. I think your mid-April target is just a bit early. Here in zone 6, I set my Broccoli transplants out about a week to ten days before our last expected frost, but no earlier. Works well for me.

Shalom, Bill

Reply to
Bill Litchfield