broccoli...

The first weekend in April, I planted 6 broccoli plants. They took off like a rocket, without any fertilizer too. Anyway, they seem ready to harvest, I thought broccoli was a fall crop. Is it to soon to harvest broccoli?

Reply to
higgledy

If it's ready, it's ready. When the heads are a decent size and before the flowers open, go for it. It will make more.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Cut tops when they are ready. The plant will send out more shoots & make many smaller heads. I like the second [and third, and fourth, and . . .] heads better than the first crop.

If you're in zone 5-6ish, you could plant some seeds now & you might get a fall crop. [planting the 1st of April, sounds like you might be too far south to plant more just yet. Check seed packet for 'Days to harvest'; subtract from average first frost; plant away. Broccoli doesn't mind some frost.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Here in z8 we plant broccoli about once a month starting in Sept and finishing in Feb. That way we have good heads and side shoots from Thanksgiving to Easter (and as long after as the weather cooperates). By May the weather becomes too hot and the plants and flavor suffer. As long as the low temps stay above 20F and highs stay below 80F for any prolonged periods, broccoli is a good crop here in S South Carolina. Gary

Reply to
V_coerulea