Romanesco Broccoli Update

Back in 2009, my wife grew some Romanesco Broccoli, as I posted on this gro= up. It had great taste and texture in addition to a very interesting, fract= al shape:

haven't been able to grow it since then. The plant grows but it doesn't = head. The other varieties of broccoli put out a good crop, but these seem t= o be a one-hit wonder. Has anyone grown these successfully? Do you use any = special techniques to get them to head?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Agreed on the beauty, taste, and texture. It's great stuff! We've grown it a couple times, with moderate success. IIRC it may not like transplantation and is somewhat sensitive to temperature range.

We stopped growing it mostly because it takes a long time to form a decent head, and didn't give us side-shoots like a regular broccoli. If I had more space I'd grow it again.

-F

Reply to
Frank Miles

It had great taste and texture in addition to a very interesting, fractal shape:

head. The other varieties of broccoli put out a good crop, but these seem to be a one-hit wonder. Has anyone grown these successfully? Do you use any special techniques to get them to head?

they might be more sensitive to heat and dry spells than other broccoli varieties. i do know it has been hotter and dryer the past few seasons here.

songbird

Reply to
songbird