Time release fertilizers

Page 2 of 3

Snort! That'd I'd love to see. Teeth with a comb over! Just let them go bald and be proud of them as there is nothing worse than a comb over.
I saw a chap in a cafe a couple of weeks ago who had a comb over that came from about 1 inch above his collar. It was so disgusting and fascinating that I couldn't stop staring. He must have used Super Glue to keep it in place.
be given> wrote:

pictures?
Comb overs, groan. Hoped they'd have gone out with walk shorts and walk socks. Guy in my office still does a comb over, though not from that far down. That said, I maintain a "comb forward" to disguise the advancing forehead.
rob
be given> wrote:

as bad as this one? half way down the page http://www.everythingismiscellaneous.com/2008/12/page/2/

Another alternative is to preemptively shave your head, which is OK, except, if you are a white guy, your head looks like a thumb.
--

- Billy

Or something...
In article

Just as long as it is held up high. Very chinese with the top knot as a reminder. The opposite is hanging ones head down not too many things to be said about that are positive . Unless humility posture and subjection matters to one . Grieving a major exception and pulling weeds.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

"Nuff said there, the better.

Ya shoor......I did that about ten years ago on a dare from the sons and that was a *really* uncomfortable experience. And *not* and attractive thing to behold......
Rained again, rain for several more.......
Charlie, trying to find time to watch some new movies and stuff....
be given> wrote:

except, if you had hair and then shaved it, it'd be a disaster if you decided to grow it back and ...........nothing
Elaine enters with her new boyfriend, Kurt.>
ELAINE: Hey! Look who's here! Hey Kurt, this is Jerry, and George, and Kramer.
JERRY: Is he from the future?
ELAINE: No, he just shaves his head. I think it's pretty gutsy.
GEORGE: Listen, sweetheart, let me tell you a little something about guts. <Points to his head.> This is guts.
ELAINE: What? Clinging to some scraps?
GEORGE: These are not "scraps." These are historic remains of a once great society of hair.
ELAINE (looking at Kurt's driver's licence photo): Hey, driver's licence. Oh...my God.
KURT: What?
ELAINE: Your hair. It's so thick and lustrous. I mean, it...it was.
KURT: Well, it still is. I shave my head for my swim team. I just liked the way it looked, so I kept it.
ELAINE: Are you saying that I could be dating this hair? With you under it? <Kurt shrugs.>
ELAINE: Here. <Shows Kurt's driver's licence to Jerry.> Take a look at that.
JERRY: Huh. Kurt's an organ donor.
ELAINE: No! He's not bald. Look! He's got a full head of hair. <George overhears and stands up, concerned.>
JERRY: So he just shaves his head for no reason?
GEORGE: That's like using a wheelchair for the fun of it!
ELAINE: And he's growing it in just for me. (Happily) It's mine. It's all mine.
JERRY: It's just hair.
ELAINE: It's not just hair! Look! <Shows Kurt's licence to Jerry again.>
JERRY: It's brown.
ELAINE: It's chestnut with auburn highlights!
JERRY: So?
ELAINE: You're not around women. You don't know how important a man's hair is. <They both look at George, who is reading a newspaper and struggling to keep his composure.> I'm sorry, George, but it's true.
New scene - Elaine checking out Kurt's head at her apartment.
ELAINE: Oh, it's coming in already! Wow, you have some very nice little seedlings here. Huh...
KURT: What?
ELAINE: Well, it doesn't seem to be coming in so good over here. Or here.
KURT: What do you mean? <Goes into the bedroom to look in the mirror.>
ELAINE: Well, I don't know...how long have you been shaving your head for?
KURT (from the bedroom): About three years.
ELAINE: Huh.
KURT: Oh my God! <Steps into the doorway> I'm going bald!

OMG! that chap is even worse than the chap I saw - not much worse, but still worse.

Nah. I was rude enough to stare, but asking him to pose would have been a bridge too far.
: :> Billy wrote:
:> > :> >> nanzi wrote:
:> >>>> I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil medium. :> >>>> Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble :> >>>> fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I listen :> >>>> to <Ron Wilson> is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release :> >>>> fertilizer. :> >>>> Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for you? :> >>>> Do you still give your plants extra feedings? :> >>>> :> >>>> Tim :> >>>> :> >>>> Pro-Mixhttp://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Pro-Mix-BX-38CF-Compressed/prod :> >>>> uc :> >>>> t... :> >>>> :> >>>> Osmakotehttp://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?tabs=usage & :> >>>> pr :> >>>> oI... :> >>> I have used Osmakote for a couple of years with good results, and I do :> >>> not feed inbetween. :> >> Thanks ! :> >> Perhaps I will try it this year..It does surprise me that no other :> >> feedings are needed, I thought maybe once a month or so, but if you are :> >> happy with the results............... :> >> :> >> Tim :> >> :> >> btw--Down boy, down....I figured I may get some grumbles from this, :> >> but I have to ask questions based on what I do... :> >> See Charlie, it sure didn't take me long!! P-) :> > :> > Yeah, it's all there in black and white for everyone to see. You don't :> > even know the name of the poison that you use, "Osmocote". That really :> > encourages the faint hope that you can use it wisely. There are just no :> > words to describe your brilliance. None at all. :> :> lol...Doesn't take much to get you riled, does it? :> Well, as long as you feel better. : :Riled? I haven't even dipped into my scatological references yet. :I just hope that this chemfert never sees topsoil. Granted you're not :distributing this witch's brew over 1000s of acres, but every bit of :remaining topsoil is precious. : :Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within :it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are :bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Well, I guess it's on your advice, but this year I think I'll not do what I've always done in the past which is to fertilize my veges with a solution made from 5-10-10 or similar. I got the method from a book:
Tomatoes, the Multiplant Method - Klein
Klein's method produces prodigious crops. He plants in rich soil but after golf ball sized tomatoes hang, he starts doing weekly dousings with the dissolved fertilizer to simulate hydroponic growing conditions. You (I think it was you, Billy) counseled that this is killing the soil. Well, I added enough compost this year that I think I'll get a fine crop with no additional fertilizer. I'll see how it goes.
Dan
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Salt on a snail, chemferts on bacteria. I hope I am wrong. Otherwise, you are an idiot.
--

- Billy

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point either, is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers also. Poop based fertilisers for example are also slow release but are also good for your soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow release, think about natural fertilisers that deliver a managed amount of nutrients to your plants and also do some benefit to your soils.
rob
George.com wrote:

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post. At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some composted poop into my containers.
--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And what do you observe? Have you tried using only composted poop in one lot, a mix of composted poopand chemicals in another lot and just chenmicals in a third lot?
I wouldn't mind betting pounds to peanuts that the chemical lot looks fat and huge.
FarmI wrote:

First of all...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your prior post. 8-) If I needed attention getting, I wouldn't be here.
Now, no I never did that experiment! But you raised a good point in "taste". Thats one area I've never even thought about..Used to be in my raised beds my peppers seemed <at least in memory> hotter, I donno. They seem to be every bit as big, and colorfull, etc...But I can't swear to the taste. Are you saying to just use the compost with NO other type of feeding? My soil-less medium has no food of it's own, what else can be mixed in? Remember, I barely have room for my pots, so a mulch or compost pile is out.
--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
says...

The more fertile the soil is, the hotter the peppers. Same goes for radishes.

Taste is something that can also from vary season to season - yield can also do the same thing. One of those mysteries of gardening.
Basically most organic gardners tend to think in terms of feeding the soil rather than feeding the plants. If you have healthy soil, you'll have healhty plants and things like taste and yield will follow from that. That's a bit general as some plants have specific needs but it's close enough at the moment.

Even if you can't have a compost pile, have you considered Bokashi composting? ( http://www.bokashi.com.au/How-Bokashi-works.htm ) and you could possibly have a worm farm in the space of one large pot. I used to shove my worm food through the food processor before putting it in my worm farm. Not always a pretty sight in the domestic fod processor.
Space for storage sounds like it could be a problem for you, but all gardeners who garden organically seem to find a spot to store the more bulky things that we all have. A pot or bag of chemicals takes up little space but not so organics.
I don't know which country you live in so I can't be too specific on products or suppliers but look for animal manures, blood and bone and rock minerals. And if there is any doubt about the quality of those products spend the extra money and buy organic. Good quality animal manures and blood and bone have a very distinctive smell. Chemicals smell of chemicals whereas animal products have a distinct animally/earthy smell. It's a smell I love, but YMMV.
Any farms near you, or stables or mushroom farms?
wrote in message

Tim, here is my simplistic view on using fertilisers - synthetic and natural. I figured out a while ago that humus and organic matter in my soil is good for it. Stripping away the humus was bad for my soil. Therefore, I practise putting organic matter in to my gardens. I use composted manure, compost or mulch. Bunging that stuff on my garden improves my soil over time, but also beneifcally adds nutrients in a soil friendly manner which are released in a controlled and time released way. Therefore, I concluded, as long as I am adding organic matter tom my soil, the plants will get fed in the process. Ipso facto, why bother adding extra fertiliser. To date my veges have done nicely following this line of reasoning. They are not the largest and fastest growing, but they are healthy and aboput right size for me & the family, and they taste good. If I look after my soil, my veges look after me.
rob