Successful transplants - I hope!

Having had major failure with tomato seeds sent by my Canadian friend (first time it has happened), I had to crawl to a nursery and buy a "Celebrity" tomato plant. Not sure if I ever grew them before.

But the main job last evening was transplanting the healthy, beautiful little tomatoes and cucumbers that sprouted in two large planters where I had installed Blue Hibiscus in a mix of yard earth, my compost, and Perlite.

Did it at twilight and watered them in tenderly so the little darlings could rest overnight. On morning inspection, they all looked great. On mid-afternoon inspectiion, after hours of hot sun, they're still hanging in there. Yay!

Also transplanted a whole bunch of snap pea vines that had sprung up where the original snap peas were earlier this year. They planted themselves in the wrong places. I know it's the wrong season for them, but they were so enterprising that I decided to give them a chance.. I've never had huge luck replanting vines, so whatever takes, takes.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

The "trick" to transplanting tomatoes is to do as you done, transplant them in the evening (or on a cool, cloudy day) and plant them a lot deeper than they were in the garden pot. I usually take off the bottom set of leaves and plant them up to the second set of leaves. If they are really leggy plant them "sideways" (bury the stem in soil, it will root). I also feed them right away with "half strength" 10, 10, 10 liquid fertilizer (mix it to 1/2 the recommended strength) and I follow that up the next day with the same strength fertilizer.

This year I'm growing about two dozen varieties (about 80 plants, a lot of the "cherry" varieties) and the extra tomatoes all go to the neighbors.

Reply to
Bill R

Bill, isn't fertilizing at transplantation somewhat controversial? I've always heard that plants should be given a few days to recover. However, from your account, below, it seems to work for you.

Anybody want to weigh in?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

I always put some Osmocote, a slow release fertilizer, in the bottom of each hole before I put the plants in.

Reply to
The Cook