resisting temptation

yesterday out and about, saw packages of bean seeds i did not have already on display. i looked, i had the packages in my hand, read the descriptions and had to tell myself that i really did not need even more varieties that i don't have room to grow.

i put them back, someone else will have to give them a new home. later on, if they have them for half price or better i'll reserve the right to change my mind... :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

What kind of bean ? We grew Kentucky Wonder last year , but decided we don't particularly like the flavor . This year we're going to grow some Blue Lake , since that's the most common canned bean on the grocery shelf . Hey , the flavor you're used to might be the best one to grow for home canning . On a side note , my seedlings are doing great

Reply to
Terry Coombs

A friend of mine has about 3 genuine 'Anasazi Beans' from an actual anasazi dwelling. He's stored them in a dark dry jar for 30 years or more, but the y could be as much as 1000 years old. He wants me to grow them in my garden since they originally came from this area. We've heard stories of people s prouting and growing them but I'd sure want to do it right. I don't know if we'd try all 3 at once, or one at a time ... or let somebody else who is a bean expert do it! So far I haven't taken him up on the offer but it is al most bean planting time again here. I should probably practice with some si milar beans first and see how they do in our soil.

Reply to
Michael Evangelista

I've grown Blue Lake, Contenders, and, this year, Kentucky Blue will be planted. Contender or Blue Lake have always been good ones for us but I'm hoping the Kentucky Blue will be a better flavored bean.

I would be planting now but there is a threat of a frost this week.

Reply to
George Shirley

I grew Hopi red limas last year, was a bust for our region, more vines than beans. Still have some seed so may plant some next year (running out of canned green beans so need to grow those this year in my limited space) but only a sparse amount so they don't overgrow everything in sight. Damned things got about twelve feet long so I had to prune them.

Reply to
George Shirley

Most of the ice from the recent storms has melted ... we're expecting snow later today . Right now it's just above freezing with an expected low tonight up here in The Holler in single digits ... last freeze here is usually in mid April .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

several, i didn't write them down, one wax/yellow bean that had a mottled brownish seed (couldn't quite tell the color of the seeds from the package). another was a purple podded bean of some sort. others too, i just had to get out of there... :)

Blue Lake is very common and it works for most people well enough that they don't ever grow any others.

might need more heat below.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

My favorite green beans are Roma II and French Filet. Not sure I will be planting any of them until I check the supply.

Reply to
The Cook

in my defense i was under the influence of good chinese food from our favorite place. :) we've been going there for 40-something years.

we might hit 31F in a week. last night was -19F. i hope the cold air doesn't get that far south again.

today is beautiful out, bright shining sun. i may go outside for a few minutes.

Wandos look promising, let us know how they fare. i've not grown any of them here, but the pods are thick like the soup peas i grow.

songbird

Reply to
songbird