Re: Pumpkin invasion

We have that problem, too. We thought we left plenty of room for the pie pumpkins this year, but we were wrong. Trimming off the ends of the vines will send more energy to the remaining pumpkin fruit so that the pumpkins will grow larger. You will end up with fewer pumpkins, but they will be bigger.
Another thing we've tried is turning the vines so that they grow in a different direction, such as along the edge of the garden rather than covering up anything in their path.
We've never tried growing pumpkins on a trellis, but last year, our Jack-o-lanterns started climbing the sweet corn. We had pumpkins (small ones because they were at the end of the vines) hanging in amongst the sweet corn stalks. I would imagine that if you had a strong trellis, and it wasn't a very large variety of pumpkin (like Big Max or Atlantic Giant), it might work to give them a trellis to climb.
Good luck with your pumpkins.
Share the view from Rural Route 2. . . Christmas In Dairyland