Re: Goodbye with mixed feelings

It's a very different place now, but we still talk funny ;) Have a great time over xmas/new years.
Dan Espen wrote:

I very rarely use killfiles, even spammers are sometimes amusing, the only ones I use killfiles on are those with interminable pages of muslim rubbish.

I've been using mine more and more in the past year, previously it was limited to serial spammers/kooks but it almost seems like the less ppl on Usenet over time, the greater the proportion of nutcases, trolls and google spammers.

The reports of Usenet's death are greatly exaggerated. (Sorry, Sam!). It's still light years ahead of BBS systems run on a Commodore 64, or Fidonet... it has been diluted by a zillion blogs and other resources, and I can't possibly follow all of them and still have time to garden and send binary data with a hand-activated switch!
Like all families, we have our share of crazies, more easily ignored than the ones we're related too.
So, thank you very much, I'm sticking around.
But that's just my opinion. I may be wrong.
rec.gardens:

You have to be either foolish or very discriminating to actually pay for a Usenet newsreader. There are many good free ones. The for-pay ones are different but not necessarily better. You have to set them all up, of course.
But if you're looking for an excuse to quit, by all means carry on with your misconception.
Derald wrote:

Nor am I . There are too few here who actually post , much less useful information . You leaving makes that one less positive contributor in the group . FWIW , Mozilla Thunderbird and eternal-september news server are a free and easy to configure combination . And both are free .
--
Snag

On 11/15/2015 6:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

It has been a long time ago since I signed up with Block.News, bought 20GB then for not much money. Just checked my account and I've only used 0.78203GB up to now. Secure system, no problems in the last many years. Lots of places out there to get signed up. I use Thunderbird vs Microsoft's crap.
On 14/11/2015 11:45 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Oh yes it is different! But you are still the same old curmudgeon you have always been.
On 11/16/2015 1:01 AM, Fran Farmer wrote:

It's like going to the zoo Fran, Please don't feed the animals. Sheldon has been floating around UseNet since the nineties trying to start arguments.
On 11/16/2015 8:37 AM, George Shirley wrote:

So's Sara and the late Billy.
On 17/11/2015 12:37 AM, George Shirley wrote:

I know Sheldon well. He and I used to both post in a group called misc.rural many years ago. He hasnt'changede and is always the same. A curmudgeon who has neat lawns and likes powered equipment.

Usenet has certainly gone through many rounds of transformation. I am a little taken aback to do the math and find that I've been posting to Usenet for 30 years (plus a month or two, I guess). And I don't really think of myself as an old-timer (just an old-fart).
There have been many waves of "personality" (for lack of a perfect term) as to who is coming in and who is leaving.
In retrospect, I guess it was a generatoional thing in ways. It rose with a one group, transformed with another and then got more and more grafitti on the walls.
As for dying, I can't really draw a line. Both it and I will die in this century. I'm just not sure which one of us will go first.
I still think it is a medium superior to web forums, and for exactly the same reasons that Facebook and such don't like it -- no one owns Usenet.
--
Drew Lawson | If dreams were thunder,
| and lightning was desire,
On 11/16/2015 2:13 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Amen. I think I started in 1990 or close to it, seems like forever. Some of the newsgroups I've been on were taken over by the crazies and I moved on to something else. There are still a few that aren't full of stuff that is irrelevant.
Threatened rain this morning but, alas, it moved off somewhere else. Winter garden doing well and the !@#$% sweet peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant planted in early spring are still putting on fruit. I chopped and froze about five lbs of sweet peppers yesterday. May not need to grow anymore next year, Nah! I like them fresh too.
On 17/11/2015 7:13 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Agreed. FB is a PITA.
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:

I'm with you there. Signed up years ago at the insistance of overseas family who prefer to post there than write emails and now only visit once a month or less for maybe five minutes just to see who's hatched, been matched or dispatched.
--
Shaun.

On 11/22/2015 8:09 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

Yeah, I have kids and grands after me to sign up for Facebook but it isn't going to happen. I ride a gardening group that is mastered out of the U of Kentucky, been on it since around 1990. Otherwise UseNet for me is rec.food.preserving, very low volume nowadays, and rec.gardens.edible, which until lately, has also been low volume.
Used to run a gardening group on Yahoo Groups but people just kept leaving it so I left too. I think a large part of the internet population has no idea what gardening and talking about gardening is all about.
Supposed to be a light freeze tomorrow morning so we picked sweet chiles and eggplant, probably for the last time this winter. Winter garden is coming along nicely, looks like the broccoli is starting make heads and the cabbage is heading. Lots of salad mix and Swiss chard out there, that was our dinner tonight. We're trying to eat better and lighter at dinner time.
Once upon a time on usenet Brooklyn1 wrote:

He may well post less than you but quantiity is certainly no substitute for quality. I always read Davids post entirely but with 95% of yours I don't persevere past the first line.
--
Shaun.