Can bleach be mixed with washing soda? (2024 Update)

I have some black mold spots on a wall that i want to clean before i paint it. Is washing soda alone, in high concentration, effective as a mold killer? Is it more effective to use chlorine based bleach? what about something like oxiclean, would that kill it?

Can I mix washing soda and bleach?

Thanks

Reply to
casioculture

Use 1 T. dishwashing liquid, 1/2 c. household bleach and add warm water to make 1 gallon. Use this to spot clean off the mold spots. Then clean the entire wall (from bottom to top) with a mild soap solution and warm water. If your walls are really dirty use TSP. Clean the entire wall, then rinse the entire wall with clear water, and rinse again. Rinsing is an important step for the paint preparation. You will need to protect the floor/carpeting, plus turn off the electrical outlets.

I do not recommend washing soda nor Oxiclean. But to answer your question, it is safe to mix washing soda and household bleach.

Reply to
Phisherman

Lowes recommends bleach and dishwashing liquid for outdoor decks, but the MSDS for Dawn says it's unsafe:

I used to use bleach and dishwashing liquid for two tricky dishwashing chores: 2-liter soda bottles and ziplock freezer bags. Both can be useful if you can get them clean. I needed rubber gloves to wash the bags that way, and they never felt clean. I let the bottles of mixture stand a long time and did a lot of shaking, trying to get them clean. It was hard to get the suds and bleach smell rinsed out.

Then I read that the State of California had paid for testing bleach and baking soda. It worked for me. It was easy on my hands and cleaned ziplock bags better than anything else. Bottles came clean quickly with no lingering suds or odor.

It also works on stained surfaces. I don't recall using bleach and baking soda outside the kitchen and bathroom because I've had good luck with borax or borax and ammonia on mildewed paint. Now that casioculture has mentioned washing soda and bleach, I think I'll try baking soda and bleach the next time I clean mildewed paint. The latter mixture would have a lower pH, which would make it easier on the hands and help the bleach work faster.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

Watch the pressure build up when you mix washing up liquid and bleach in a bottle and shake. It can be extremely dangerous. I soak my sink with hot water, washing soda, bleach and washing up liquid then bung in any dishcloths or tea towels, scrubbies etc. every night.

Reply to
Dawn

At the time, I didn't know anybody had ever said it was dangerous, but I threw a lot of bottles and ziplock bags away because washing them that way didn't work very well.

Do those three substances complement each other?

American bleach is typically 5 or 6% sodium hypochlorite in water. What's yours?

Are you familiar with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)?

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

I think they do. However - my sink cracked this week, I find it hard to believe any chemical has done that or weakened it, more like someone dropped a saucepan or heavy container. Boiling water may have cracked it and I did drain the potaoes in it the day before.

I don't have a bottle to hand, I will let you know

of course. mixed with bleach it brought my sink up a treat. Don't suppose that would have weakened it? ;-)

Reply to
Dawn

what do you mean when you say "washing soda" never heard thsi term before. A couple of product names would be helpful. Have never heard of a sink cracking....more likely something heavy dropped in it. Cannot imagine draining boiling water would do such a thing.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

I doubt the brand names I give will be of much use. I used to use ICI washing soda crystals but can't get that now. This page has the one I use now on

to Google and search images then enter "washing soda" you may recognise some packets. Sink. The manufacturer of my composite sink say not to put too hot stuff in, like a pan straight off the stove. It could damage if done repeatedly. . They guarantee for 10 years and if I had my receipt maybe would issue me with new. Can't be fairer than that. I was more than pleased with it but suspect as you say, something being dropped. Boiling water would probably crack at the plug hole, that did happen before and I had to renew the plastic waste hole.

Reply to
Dawn

replying to Muvin Gruvin, ThisIsMyName wrote: I hate to bump an 11 year old thread, but for the sake of google..

Washing soda is sodium carbonate

Reply to
ThisIsMyName

replying to Muvin Gruvin, Harper wrote: Arm & Hammer also makes a soda product labeled as "washing soda." This is sodium /carbonate/ instead of sodium *bi*carbonate. It's actually more powerful than baking soda for some things */(though don't use it for cooking!)/*; I've used it, along with dish soap and borax, to degrease rags, and even a stove hood fan that hadn't been washed for an Age of Man.

Reply to
Harper

Washing Soda (sodium carbonate, or "soda ash"), can also be made by heating Sodium Bicarbonate to 400 degrees F for 1 hour, mixing, and heating for another hour at 400 degrees F.

Reply to
Matthew

What the hell is "washing up liquid" supposed to be? That is not the name/term for any kind of cleaner. Do you mean "dish soap?"

Reply to
JSmith