Ring Aroound The Collar...

Given: 100% cotton dress shirts always worn with tie and buttoned snuggly (military style). Laundered commercially after one day's use. Applies to those bought right off the shelf and those custom made over the past 45 years.

Problem: Within months, collar begins to show signs of discoloration which grows increasingly worse. Before I kick the bucket... I'd sure as heck like to find an answer to these two questions:

Q1) How remove prevent? Q2) How prevent?

Reply to
John Gregory

I doubt very much if you can prevent. It's the nature of human skin to be oily and the nature of white dress shirts to yellow/wear in that area over time. I use a Spray n' Wash type product on my husbands until they will not come clean, then he uses them for yard work or rags. Face it, nothing lasts forever. You could, however, take them to a good seamstress and have the collars turned over to make them last longer.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Good thought, Piper. However, by the time I reach the point to turn the collar, the shirt has been through the laundry so many times the fabric at the elbows is getting weak. I'm the best dressed gardener on the block; dress whites all the way!

Reply to
John Gregory

:o)

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Given: 100% cotton dress shirts always worn with tie and buttoned snuggly (military style). Laundered commercially after one day's use. Applies to those bought right off the shelf and those custom made over the past 45 years.

Problem: Within months, collar begins to show signs of discoloration which grows increasingly worse. Before I kick the bucket... I'd sure as heck like to find an answer to these two questions:

Q1) How remove prevent? Q2) How prevent?

removeable collars will solve your problem

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Reply to
John Gregory

how would mrs bonk know that?!

look at a standard collar. observe how easy it would be to unpick the upper portion from the base: the upper portion is just tucked into the lower part & the opening stitched across. your observation is correct: it's that easy. turn it round the other way & sew it back in. :-) kylie

p.s. if you wear extremely classy shirts, one or both sides may well be hand-sewn, thus negating what i've said in terms of ease to do, although the principle is the same, of course. in that case, persist if you will. :-)

Reply to
0tterbot

100% cotton is supposed to be better for shirt collars because synthetic fibers can hang onto skin oil worse than cotton.

Heat from drying and ironing can set collar stains. Denture tablets work on some kinds of collar stains.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

I fill a spray bottle 1/2 with oily hair shampoo and top off with water and spray this on collar so that it soaks all the way through.

to prevent, consider keeping the haircut above collar level, and wiping the neck with an astringent immediately after showering and before putting on that shirt. If you shower the night before, consider showering in the morning shortly before dressing

Reply to
lmngroove