Radishes or turnips ???

Well, in my new garden I planted a row of radishes about 2 months ago. It said radishes on the package..

When the greens formed, they were definitely NOT turnip greens.

However, today when I picked a dozen or so, they were about 2 inches in diameter and looked A LOT like turnips. I couldn't tell by the taste, since a radish seems a lot like a turnip to me... They looked like turnips, and had the purple band around the top like a turnip does. Some were radish size and some were turnip size..

So, my question is, if one lets radishs go a long time before picking, do some of them increase in size and look like turnips...?? Or, did the seed packager screw up ??

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS I ain't complaining... they taste pretty good. I just don't know what I'm eating....

Reply to
AndyS

Huh? A radish is like a turnip??? I can't see how. They're apples and oranges!!

Radishes are lucky to get to be the size of a golf ball, have a red/purple skin and snow white interior. Turnips grow to be at least the size of a fist, if not bigger and the greens can be huge, broad leaves. Some turnip (or rutabaga) varieties can have purple tops and a white interior, but nothing like a radish. There's no confusing the two, unless there is some freaky hybrid out there that I'm not aware of...

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Either I, or the guy packaging the seeds, screwed up..... No matter, they taste pretty good, tho the greens are really crappy. No way they taste like turnip greens. So , I guess I just learn to enjoy my turnishes, or maybe radnips, and make sure about the package next time.....

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
AndyS

Whoa. Radishes have a different taste than turnips. Most of the early one's are fairly pungent. There are radishes that grow to shape and size of turnips and they come in all colors. Ther are are also radishes which have the physical appearence of Carrots, although most are white, green or red. What cultivar did you plant? Radishes are a big diverse family. If you still eat eat them when they were turnip size and after two months, you MIGHT have a Daikon (Oriental winter radish) type. Most of the summer radishes get tough and woody in a pretty short time.

Reply to
farmerdill

Some radishes will grow large. But a 2" diameter in 8 weeks is far too fast-growing for them to be a turnips IMO. A sprinkling of salt before eating will better bring out the spicy radish flavour! Try giving a couple to your neighbours and ask what they believe them to be. If you leave radishes to grow too large they usually get very hot and the flesh goes spongy.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage

That's a good idea in general.... If the neighbors eat it and like it, it's probably good enough for ME to eat, too... :>)))))

I use the same technique with my neighbor's cat when dealing with unknown species of fish.....

:>))))) Andy

Reply to
AndyS