Question for garlic growers

Page 1 of 2
    I'm growing garlic for the first time. My mistake. I won't do it again and am considering composting what's in the beds now. The garlic is inhospitable to everything that I'd normally be planting now for the long warm season. Even the brandywines are cringing from the damned garlic while they thrive amidst onions. I'd rather have the tomatoes or more "southern" peas and baby lima beans, or just about anything else, than the garlic; grocery store garlic is fine with me.... My question is: How long does the noxiousness remain after the garlic is removed?
--
the Balvenieman
Running on single malt in U.S.A.

He also doesn't like flowers or bees.
--
- Billy
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:18:43 -0400, Gary Woods

Love me some home grown garlic. I've never noticed an odor and actually, isn't garlic a fairly good companion plant? I grow it around the rose bush as well as in the garden.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2009/11/08/784901/mid-columbia-growers-add - hot-mustard.html
Mid-Columbia growers add hot mustard to fields
"The chopped and buried mustard plants release chemicals that kill root-knot, root-lesion and stubby-root nematodes -- all enemies of Mid-Columbia potatoes."
--
- Billy

Are you sure your tomatoes don't have some other problem like verticillium wilt? I've grown tomatoes and garlic alongside each other for over 40 years and have never had a problem that I could in any way attribute to the garlic. World commercial garlic production runs around 16 million tonnes and China accounts for roughly 13 million tonnes. While I don't know about your specific area, with production figures like that, your "grocery store" garlic has a good probability of being a softneck variety grown in China. I know pretty well all garlic in grocery stores in my area is grown in China. Hunt up some hardneck garlic and use it in your cooking. I doubt if grocery store garlic will ever again be fine. That why we grow our own.
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b 43 17' 26.75" North 80 13' 29.46" West
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

I have never had a problem and I rotate it into a different bed each year. Really fresh garlic is a treat if you like your garlic. It is sticky and crunchy at the same time and the smell has an added quality that fades with age.
David

Yours or the garlic's?
Apparently I missed some last year, and I have these bouquets coming up. I suppose it's too late to separate them and replant?
--
- Billy
Billy wrote:

Both
I don't know what your seasons are like. I do know you are northern hemisphere but I don't know what suits garlic. We grow garlic as a cool season crop, plant in autumn and harvest in spring. Now would be a bit late for me, mine has been in for a month.
David

Here they won't ship it to you until March 15, go figure.
--
- Billy

You can, but the root loss will result in smaller bulbs. Better to pull and use it as "green garlic," which brings fancy prices at the farmers' market.
I can always tell where last year's garlic bed was by the volunteers.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

I've still got volunteers from two years ago. Can't seem to get it all up! --S.

What happens when you leave them alone? How does the clustering affect the bulbs and individual cloves?
--
- Billy

They continue to produce more and smaller bulbs. One excellent variety, GSG#65, was discovered in a yard in Rome, NY (settled by some of the Italian stonemasons who were brought over to build the Erie canal). The plants looked like wild onion until they were divided and given room for a couple of generations.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Thanks
--
- Billy
wrote:>> I've still got volunteers from two years ago. Can't seem to get it all

I don't know; I pull them and use them small. I've never let them grow to full size (or at least I never thought I did, but apparently I miss some). The biggest ones I pull up are about 1 1/2" across; quite small. But then the greens die and I don't see them any more and apparently fail to realize there are still some out there. --S.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

We grow it everywhere and have seen nothing of this.
I'd wonder if you're not seeing some other problem and blaming the garlic.
Get your soil tested or test it yourself. There are kits you can buy.
Garlic's requirements are similar to onions...
...which reminds me that I have to buy some bone meal.

Forgive my ignorance. Are you referring to the other plants having a garlic taste, or just what. Honestly, I do not understand.
Steve

You probably wouldn't understand Tiny Tim, Pat Robertson, Jeffrey Dahmer, or George Bush either. Be happy.
--
- Billy

One thing's for sure. I don't have a clue to understanding what the heck your answer said.
Steve