Garlic question

2+ months ago I harvested my Garlic crop. Planting some lettuce today I dug up some garlic bulbs I had missed. Several of them have sprouts 1-2 inchs long.

Questions. Am I able to use these the bulbs for planting in June (winter) or should I instead dry and eat them now?

If usable for replanting in June, what is the best way to store them?

Thanks. Rob

Reply to
George.com

I just leave them in the ground if they didn't "bulb" yet. I had the same thing happen and they are coming up now. I'll let them grow till they brown out and harvest them then. Here in TX this means harvest in July or August.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Has anyone had any luck with the garlic you plant now for harvest this year? I NEVER get my stuff together enough to plant in the fall. I was thinking of trying the spring stuff. I was wondering if it was worth a

30 mile trip to the nursery to get some. Any opinions?
Reply to
FragileWarrior

I raise elephant garlic. I harvest it in July, cure it for 10 to 15 days, store it in a cool place (not the fridge), and then replant in early September. That way it has time to form into cloves by the next June or July.

I haven't had much experience with regular garlic. You might get away with planting it now, but I doubt it.

George, I agree that you should replant your bulbs and leave them till summer.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

g'day rob,

you don't say where you are?

but if you are in the southern hemisphere about now is when to plant, and yes i sould divide and replant those corms.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len garden

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:42:08 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

I've gotten cloves to form, but not bulb in one season. The garlic you plant now can stay in the ground all summer, then fall and till next year. The other thing I do with mine in the same season is to use the foliage in cooking.

Reply to
Jangchub

Correction here. Rather than bulbs I should have said cloves. The cloves are left over from late last winters planting (they were a little late) and summer harvesting. They were ones I missed.

Some the the cloves are sprouting new growth at the top. I am only 4-6 weeks away from planting my new seasons crop.

I guess the plan is, someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, to store the cloves in a dry dark place and plant out when needed.

rob

Reply to
George.com

g'day rob,

i would still use them for the new planting season whether you leave them in the ground or pull them and store them in the fridge until then is your choice.