Purslane

ROTFL! Do you understand anything about saturated fats?

Reply to
Billy

Rice sounds good...

I was just thinking "Texas style". That recipe almost sounds like a taco meat recipe. Just needs more additions such as Garlic and Cumin.

Reply to
Omelet

I think he was critical of the addition of Lard and Salt Pork. ;-) For those that still believe that eating animal fat is unhealthy, it would sound like Heart attack on a plate.

Reply to
Omelet

Do you?

Reply to
Omelet

Yes indeed. That's why I eat them in moderation. The dish can be cooked in veg oil as is commonly done around here.

Reply to
Arri London

A triple by-pass actually.

What source do you have that fats that are solid at room temperature are healthy?

Reply to
Billy

'd suggest you do more research. More and more, high triglyceride levels appear to cause more damage.

Guess what causes them to be high?

It's not fat...

Mine used to run around 600 mg/dl. when I was in college. Now they run around 80 mg/dl.

Fat was not what I gave up to do that. Oddly enough, my endocrinologist knows this and congratulates me for giving up sugar and starch for the most part when she sees my blood levels. :-)

Don't buy soft drinks or donuts, or bread.

Reply to
Omelet

To add to above, I wonder sometimes if it is from an over-indulgence of alcohol and/or genetics. I have chocolate practically every day (albeit dark) and have a glass of wine or port, eat lots of bread and never think about whether I'm eating carbs or starch and my trigl. are (almost) always below 100 -- in my younger years, they were much higher, but I ate less fruits and veggies. - I just looked and my last reading in July was 94. Dee Dee

Reply to
Dee Dee

I have no doubt that there is a genetic factor.

I can eat some of that stuff as treats but if it's the main part of my diet, all bets are off.

My dad's used to run pretty high too so I probably inherited it from him. His were up around 800 at one point. Now with our diet overhaul, his stay under 150 most of the time. Mine are lower as I try a little harder. ;-)

"Know thyself".

The thing is, if you trend towards hyperlipidemia, a dietary overhaul is certainly in order.

But don't just look at saturated fats as the cause... I've known more than one person that tried cutting fat and still drank soda and ate "fat free" cookies by the box full.

They ended up on Statins.

Reply to
Omelet

"...If you need help, call the F.B.I." ;-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

No S**t. ;-D

Reply to
Omelet

I just can't eat 'fat free' desserts. If the sugar is aspartame -- forget it for darned sure.

I cringe whenever I see f-i-l drinking diet sodas with meals. But it's his life, we don't say anything. Dee Dee

Reply to
Dee Dee

Nice anecdotal story but no mention of saturated fats and serum cholesterol. I don't drink soft drinks, I certainly don't eat donuts, and only a minimal amount of bread. My serum cholesterol is barely OK as long as I don't abuse saturated fats (red meat, ham, and butter are my only sources). For me, to load up a healthy food like purslane with sandoux or pork belly is totally nuts. I'm glad that you found a path but it isn't mine.

Reply to
Billy

I prefer purified water (tastes better) or ice tea, and sometimes wine. :-)

Reply to
Omelet