Purslane

Page 2 of 2

What source do you have that fats that are solid at room temperature are healthy?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

http://tinyurl.com/yw9s9v
I'd suggest you do more research. More and more, high triglyceride levels appear to cause more damage.
Guess what causes them to be high?
It's not fat...
Mine used to run around 600 mg/dl. when I was in college. Now they run around 80 mg/dl.
Fat was not what I gave up to do that. Oddly enough, my endocrinologist knows this and congratulates me for giving up sugar and starch for the most part when she sees my blood levels. :-)
Don't buy soft drinks or donuts, or bread.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

To add to above, I wonder sometimes if it is from an over-indulgence of alcohol and/or genetics. I have chocolate practically every day (albeit dark) and have a glass of wine or port, eat lots of bread and never think about whether I'm eating carbs or starch and my trigl. are (almost) always below 100 -- in my younger years, they were much higher, but I ate less fruits and veggies. - I just looked and my last reading in July was 94. Dee Dee

I have no doubt that there is a genetic factor.
I can eat some of that stuff as treats but if it's the main part of my diet, all bets are off.
My dad's used to run pretty high too so I probably inherited it from him. His were up around 800 at one point. Now with our diet overhaul, his stay under 150 most of the time. Mine are lower as I try a little harder. ;-)
"Know thyself".
The thing is, if you trend towards hyperlipidemia, a dietary overhaul is certainly in order.
But don't just look at saturated fats as the cause... I've known more than one person that tried cutting fat and still drank soda and ate "fat free" cookies by the box full.
They ended up on Statins.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

"...If you need help, call the F.B.I." ;-)
Bob

<grins> No S**t. ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I just can't eat 'fat free' desserts. If the sugar is aspartame -- forget it for darned sure.
I cringe whenever I see f-i-l drinking diet sodas with meals. But it's his life, we don't say anything. Dee Dee

I prefer purified water (tastes better) or ice tea, and sometimes wine. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Nice anecdotal story but no mention of saturated fats and serum cholesterol. I don't drink soft drinks, I certainly don't eat donuts, and only a minimal amount of bread. My serum cholesterol is barely OK as long as I don't abuse saturated fats (red meat, ham, and butter are my only sources). For me, to load up a healthy food like purslane with sandoux or pork belly is totally nuts. I'm glad that you found a path but it isn't mine.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Sounds interesting, thanks!
I've used Sorrel from time to time just for interest. It's one of the few "weeds" I allow to propagate since it's a Legume, hence, a nitrogen fixer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

In Armenia, purslane is widely used raw or blanched in salads with hot seasonings and also as a herb, like parsley. In salads, it is typically blanched in salted water, removed with a slotted spoon and allowed to cool. It is then tossed with finely minced garlic, cilantro and parsley and served with vinegary dressing (or just vinegar).
Victor
snipped-for-privacy@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

Thank you, deeply, for your sage advice on this very important herb.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

"Sage advice" LOLOL!
Ya shoulda been a comedian.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

I hope I am not keeping you from your methyl mercury. Please eat all you want and clear the biosphere of it and you. Bon appetit.
For serious posters, read about omega-3 fatty acids.
--
FB - FFF

Billy