weeding tool

Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Reply to
brucegooglegroups

Oh boy...have I got a tool for you!

've had one for 20 years. I use it more than any other small garden tool. Indestructible. The first one in the list is no longer available, so you have to order the long handle version.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Warren Hoe.

But those Japanese weeding knifes are really useful.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

And, scary looking, too. Perfect for visitors who think you have a sign on your head saying "Please get in my way as much as you can". Even though the knife's not at all sharp, I find that people tend to take a step or two back when I'm using it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Looks of are no import the ability to do work matters. I've got two knifes and since most of my gardening is in solitude I really think do you garden ?

Bill being nice.

Reply to
William Wagner

I've been gardening for 35+ years. I tend to get visitors. Neighbors who come to chat. They see me move from one spot to another 30 times, and then stand precisely in my path. It's odd. Many people look, but do not see.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi Doug, What about the weeding hoe from seeds of change?

over is an issue for me and I would rather weed standing up.

Bruce

Reply to
brucegooglegroups

> Bending over is an issue for me and I would rather weed standing up. >

Bruce: I guess I'm used to my tools, because I can't see how a fork would be useful for weeding, unless you stuck it under the weeds and twisted it to lift out the weeds. That could be murder on the wrists after a while. Somebody else mentioned this, though - a nicer version of another tool I've had for years:

of that blade glides just below the surface of the soil and slices weeds off. You can just leave them on the surface to roast in the sun, and then decompose. You'll still want to clean up weeds that have flower heads, and perhaps seeds that have developed, but most can just be left to shrivel.

You should still buy that knife, though. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi Doug, Can this life also be used on the lawn?

Bruce

Reply to
brucegooglegroups

I assume you mean "knife"! You can use it anyplace you want! But, if you're referring to the 2nd tool, that's made for flower beds where the soil's loose. Lawns tend to get packed down too much for scuffle hoes and similar tools.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Can it be used to pick up dog poo?

rob

Reply to
George.com

No. The dog owner should do that with his/her teeth, at gunpoint.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll try this with my wife and "her" dog tonight!

Reply to
bcattwood

Video that and post it to the binaries group? The dial up people might forgive you if the file is bigger than 1MB and it humors them.

Jim Carlock Post replies to the group.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

It would probably be painful to watch, if you're a person who's capable of noticing what a worker is doing, seeing the pattern, and adapting to it. My son worked briefly in a restaurant kitchen, and said they had a waitress who could not comprehend the paths being taken all night long by the cooks & their helpers. No matter how many times they discussed it with her, she'd stand right between the prep area and the stove, or between the refrigerators and the prep area. The "triangle", as designers call it. Finally, they fired her.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Think of the Japanese garden knife as a trowel that can do other tasks.

Collinear hoe via Elliot Coleman is great for quick weed removal especially when the weeds are very young. AKA less work. The warren does it all. I went with both. Walk about your neighborhood and see what tools folks use.

Johnnyseeds.com offers them. (Collinear)

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Sadly, my neighborhood is mostly a barren wasteland. Most people feel defeated by the deer, so they plant nothing but boring evergreens and marigolds. Lots of chemical-heads, too, walking around with little tanks on their backs, spraying whatever they think needs it. The other major tool I see in use is the leaf blower, and the noisier, the better.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The fork that you stick under the weeds and twist is like the description of the Ergonica Weed Twister. Although several different companies make weed twisters of different types, this one has two tines that are forked and also coiled. The twisting is more efficient because of the coil, so it doesn't tweak the wrists that much, unless you poke into a large immovable object of some kind.

The World of Weeds website shows images of over 20 different types of small and large weed pullers, weed poppers, weed twisters, and other weed control contraptions.

-- Dr. Yucca: Before you kill a plant, you have to name it a 'weed' and debase its heritage and ancestry.

Reply to
raycruzer

You bastard. I thought I was done spending money on garden tools.

:)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

How are women like dog poo? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .... easier to pick up when older!

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan