Purslane

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain -- following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

recipes and explanations here:)

Ophelia

It's good on salads. And, the stuff's really healthy to eat:

JoeSpareBedroom

ground, less insect sprays and so on. I think Logee's carries a foreign variety that has thicker stalks. The Joy of Pickling has a recipe for pickling it. Sounds interesting. Edrena

Reply to
The Joneses

Let us know the results. I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or composted it.

Reply to
Omelet

In Armenia, purslane is widely used raw or blanched in salads with hot seasonings and also as a herb, like parsley. In salads, it is typically blanched in salted water, removed with a slotted spoon and allowed to cool. It is then tossed with finely minced garlic, cilantro and parsley and served with vinegary dressing (or just vinegar).

Victor

Reply to
Victor Sack

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were) and was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)

It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's been in the freezer for a couple of years...

Bob

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

When I was experimenting with purslane a couple years ago, I found that it makes a good cream soup that can be eaten hot or cold. I also put it raw into a sandwich with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or into a BLT with honey mustard. If I was going to pair it with lamb, I'd consider making plain lamb-and-potato kabobs, then combine purslane, walnuts, and olive oil into a kind of pesto to accompany.

Now that I know what to do with it, naturally, I haven't seen it since.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Terwilliger

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else. Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth. Edrena

Reply to
The Joneses

Thank you, deeply, for your sage advice on this very important herb.

Reply to
Billy

"Sage advice" LOLOL!

Ya shoulda been a comedian.

Reply to
sf

I am and I have jokes like you:-) I hope I am not keeping you from your methyl mercury. Please eat all you want and clear the biosphere of it and you. Bon appetit.

For serious posters, read about omega-3 fatty acids.

Reply to
Billy

Sounds interesting, thanks!

I've used Sorrel from time to time just for interest. It's one of the few "weeds" I allow to propagate since it's a Legume, hence, a nitrogen fixer.

Reply to
Omelet

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)

2 cups purslane 4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork 2 tbs chopped onion 1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred) 1 tsp ground coriander seed salt to taste

Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat. Season. Cover and cook until tender.

Reply to
Arri London

Serve wrapped in hot flour tortillas? :-d

Reply to
Omelet

From: "Arri London" Date: Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:09 AM

Thanks so much Arri, I had forgotten the Spanish word for it. My mostly pale neighbors thought I was crazy for suggesting they could eat the weeds... There is so much good food for the adventurous. Edrena

Reply to
The Joneses

You realize, I trust, that you just killed 2 cups of purslane and their health benefits. The omega-3 fatty acids are meant to protect against heart disease not facilitate it.

Reply to
Billy

You could do that. Or serve it on fresh fry bread or with rice.

Reply to
Arri London

You most welcome! Usually I make a salad of the purslane but that recipe is tasty too.

Reply to
Arri London

ROTFL! So don't cook it that way. The fatty acids are probably heat-proof anyway otherwise not much point in eating cooked fish.

Reply to
Arri London