Pumpkin Seeds

How do I store pumpkin seeds to plant in the spring? Also, when is the best time to plant them? Can I plant them inside in Late January or February and transplant them in the spring? How about a miniature "green house"?

Reply to
Nick

Wash them and spread them out to dry. Store them in a cool dry area. I store mine in the basement in a jar enclosed with one of those little silica gel packets that come with many products. (Heat the packet to drive off some of its moisture before you toss it in the jar.) Just put them in an envelope or something if you don't want to bother with that. I plant mine inside. Use a plantable pot or at least one seed per container so you do not have to break up the roots at plant out time. When, depends on where you live. They grow fast so probably not much earlier than 4 weeks before your last frost date. Not even that early if you can't provide really good light indoors or where ever you grow them.

Steve

Nick wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, Steve. One other question I forgot, full sun or sun/shade? Nick

Reply to
Nick

In the garden? Full sun for sure out there.... unless you are where it is extremely hot and sunny. If you start the seed indoors, they should get several days outside before you plant them in the garden. The first few of those days should be partly shaded. If it turns hot right after you plant them out, a sheet of newspaper will keep them from wilting. That's the only time shade will be a good thing. Once they dig in some roots, full sun is OK. If you plant the seed directly in the garden, no shade should be needed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve