Pumpkin seeds RULE!

Hello,

I never tasted baked pumpkin seeds before last Sunday, and never knew what I was missing!!! They're like massive sunflower seeds that don't need to be shelled!! :) I salted them, put them single-layer on a cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 325F and viola, instant super-treat :) These pumpkins were the "Triple Treat" Burpee seed variety.

However, a word of warning - they tend to pop like popcorn all over the oven, so put a layer of aluminum foil over the top of the sheet to keep them from spraying all over the oven :)

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

Not us! We took the seeds and pulp of 5 pumpkins at my folks' place as well as the seeds and pulp of our own 3, and spread them all over the far back of our yard. Next year we should have quite the pumpkin patch back there. :P

James

Reply to
JNJ

I did save some seeds from last year's, "The Great Pumpkin." I planted them this spring and had the most beautiful pumpkin vines I've ever had. However, although they had tons of blossoms, I only got one pumpkin from 5 hills of beautiful vines. It never turned orange, but became rotten first. Good Luck to You! Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

Well, we'll see what we get. Worst case scenario, I got a 6.0 HP lawnmower that I can hike up pretty high and it will chop up just about anything I plow it through. :) Besides -- it's all compost in the end.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Did you grow them? Harvesting/opening the pumpkin to reveal the seeds neatly waiting is a wonder (but somewhat time-consuming...I wonder what the commercial process is like!?)

-David

Reply to
David Auker

If you have squash, the seeds from them taste every bit as good as those from pumpkins. The variety of squash we grew this year were rather tasteless, but the seeds were great! :)

John

Reply to
B & J

Try soy sauce, garlic salt and some black pepper next year. They are addicting.

Laura B.

Reply to
Thalocean2

You'll also have a lot of fat and sassy squirrels and birds. Pumpkin seeds are a particular favorite. I've seen them eaten by crows, jays, and cardinals as well as red and fox squirrels. And I don't doubt that they are gobbled up by night-time critters as well.

Since pumpkins (with the aid of bees) are prodigious out-crossers, what grows next year might look like pumpkins or like some weird squash.

It will be interesting...

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Lower temperature; longer time. They *are* great, aren't they? I 'shell' the larger ones as when I eat sunflower seeds, but the outside isn't all that tough. And talk about fiber!

As someone else has posted, many winter squash seeds may be treated the same way.

Reply to
Frogleg

LOL -- I've no doubt you're right. We have a 15' x 15' feeder area for the birds and such so they tend to forage there first and the squirrels have so many walnuts to munch on that even THEIR appetites might be satisfied. I figure some of the seeds will likely survive though which is cool -- if not, it's no biggie. We can always buy seeds for whatever we actually PLAN to grow next year. :)

This is true. I'll post back next year on just what comes up. :)

James

Reply to
JNJ

That's nice to know...I just had spaghetti squash last night and kept the seeds separate from the rest of the compost (I REALLY dont want "mutants" growing in the garden next year ;) they can be a pain).

Every year I grow spaghetti, butternut and acorn squash as well ase pumpkin, so it's really nice to know the seeds won't go to waste, either (and here I was throwing them out every year lol )

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

I could do one up and put chopped garlic on them :) I grow a LOT of garlic. Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

I would guess they shred the entire squash plant, and the seeds float to the top of a vat of water. That's how I separated the seeds from my pumpkin....put them in a bowl of water and nearly all the seeds floated.

It seems to be an extremely easy process to mass produce...simply dump in a large vat of water and skim the seeds off. Maybe one day we'll see salted pumpkin seeds on the store shelves :)

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

They are there already - pepitas - find them in the Mexican section or with the dried fruit and nuts.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:BBD02AAE.27998% snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

???

They occasionally sell David brand salted pumpkin seeds at Walmart, K- mart and Walgreens. Walgreens also carries some other brand (thin bag with orange color), not quite as tasty and with added coloring (boo-hoo). Found in the seed aisle with sunflower seeds and nuts. Never seen them in the Mexican aisle

- ST

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Salted roasted pumpkin seeds are widely available over here - just go to the Greek/Asian/other-ethniticy food stores.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

I like to make my own roasted seeds. Just soak dried seeds in salty water then roast in oven or toast them in a large skillet. Make several pound of them and eat for months, weeks in my case.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Long John

Dan wrote

And some posters didn't notice the :) , which is short for :-)

BTW, if you really have a jones for them, Bulkfoods.com sells both the hulled (what I call pepitas) and salted in-'shell' varieties. I haven't bought any, but did order a couple of other things that arrived promptly and as advertised. Not affiliated, etc., etc.

Reply to
Frogleg

I have been buying them at the store for years until recently when I had to cut down on the salt. I sure do miss them! Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

Frogleg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Is that what he meant? I figured he had his mouth so full of pumpkin seeds that you couldn't see his nose. :-@