My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!!

After perusing the web about Pineapple Sage, many said it usually doesn't bloom in Zone 5 due to its late blooming date. Well, here in Chicago we've been having an extended Indian summer (it was 70F yesterday). A couple of days ago my Pineapple sage started to bloom and here's proof. :-)

Mark Anderson

It's very beautiful. I get one every year and every year it booms. I just wish it bloomed in time for the hummers. It always waits until October or November to bloom around here, and by then it's too late for hummers and too big to bring indoors for over-wintering (mine is currently 5 feet tall).

Is there any way I can cut it down a few feet and re-pot indoors?

Thanks, Dan nw NJ

Reply to
dstvns

I don't know. Mine is 4 foot tall and it's in a container that can't be taken inside. I was hoping it would be able to overwinter outside but now I'm not sure. It would be nice if it started off next year at the size it's at now.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Pineapple Sage is Salvia elegans, native to Mexico. Hardy to zone 9, MAYBE

8b... but all is not lost......

Like many of the square-stemmed tender perennials, it strikes pretty handily from cuttings either in water or loose moist potting mix, you can take cuttings now and overwinter the resulting plants.

I'd be safe and try cuttings from various stages of growth.

How glorious would it be to have blooming plants of Pineapple Sage ready to set out when the hummers return???

Breeze ( Sue Burnham)

Reply to
Sue

is there but one single base stem in your container or are there more than one?

Any chance of cutting back and dividing, bringing in a smaller pot?

LOL I've grown this one before but not seen it in the greenhouse trade here recently ( or maybe passed it over in favor of something else that caught my eye). IIR its pretty enthusiastic given enough winter light.

-- Breeze ( Sue Burnham)

Reply to
Sue

Yup, trim it down but make sure you have a lot of sun in the house. Also keep an eye out for white flies and spider mites. I find it easier to manage to root several cuttings for indoors.

For hummers, you might want to get a Salvia greggii, it blooms earlier. The leaves are edible but more herbal, less fruity.

Reply to
Pen

I'm a pretty casual cutting-starter -- plop it in a clean, small glass of water on the kitchen windowsill, and wait for something to happen. Success rate is probably close to 65%. I snipped a 5" stem of some purple-leafed sage from next door (with permission), stripped off the lower leaves, and put it in The Glass. And it went all fuzzy/moldy/icky. The neighbor recently pruned this plant way back, and I have a big branch in a holding pattern in a larger cup of water, intending to try and root some more cuttings when I get a round tuit. Any hints for success?

Reply to
Frogleg

HI Frogleg yep, fuzzy, moldy icky happens to me too, so don't think I'm any whiz LOL. Not every cutting strikes!

Hints and gleanings------

Leave the cutting out of water for several hours to let the stem seal.

cleanliness is key, a dip in a very mild bleach solution can stave off the bacteria. Change the water every day or 2 and wash the glass in hot soapy water at the time.

No direct sun, use colored/tinted glass

dissolve a teensy bit of rooting hormone powder in the water, or use floral preservative.

Watch the cut end of the stems very carefully and recut if it looks soft and slimy, change the water, wash the glass.

Hedge your bets, try hormone powder ( Rootone or the like) and stick cuttings in FRESH potting mix in a 3.5 inch pot, cover with a plastic bag and keep warm ( top of fridge unless you have a cat who objects).

Use both methods at the same time ( take lots of cuttings).

Hard woody stems of tender plants don't root well, neither do soft new growth ( and this is a broad generalization!) Try 'em all, see what works.

I believe the hormone that stimulates rooting is an auxin ( ???) and depending on the plant, the hormone may be more plentiful at some times of growth than others.

Fer instance, I do NOT have good luck with late fall cuttings of Pelargonium ( geranium). If I want to bring in plants I've learned to just hack them back to stubs and let them grow out.

Everything is worth a shot, more than once.

best o luck

Breeze

Reply to
Sue

I had a honeydew melon salvia that was a wonderful hummingbird magnet - bloomed early and stayed in bloom constantly until a recent string of VERY cold nights did it in. I was going to take cuttings, but the cold weather beat me to it. Bought it as a 4" pot for a couple of bucks and it was about

3-4 feet across when the cold got it, so it won't break the bank to replace it next season. I DID manage to take cuttings of all my coleus before the cold hit, though. Today I need to survey the damage done to scented gernaiums - they are in a more protected spot, but they are looking a little cold stressed and I need to bring them in.
Reply to
Pam - gardengal

oh, speaking of salvia, I got a new one Monday. It's a microphylla and the top of the flower is white, and the two bottom lips are bright cherry red. It's called 'Hot Lips' Very striking! Hummers also love 'Lady in Red' a tender perennial, but its still blooming like crazy here. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

It's a single based stem. I bought it as a small plant in a 4" container and planted it in the Spring and it just grew like crazy.

I will do that. I suppose then the only way of it surviving the winter here is to bring it inside. I have extra rescue containers for that.

Thanks for all your tips on cuttings. The temps just dropped into the

20s and 40s here in Chicago so I have to go rush and save the plant now.
Reply to
Mark Anderson

you are welcome, and good luck!

Breeze

Reply to
Sue

Yum.... honeydew sage. :) Mmm... watermelon sage. 8P~~ Can't wait for next year!

Reply to
Pen